[StBernard] Parish Threatens To Tear Down Renovated Home

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Fri Feb 13 07:45:02 EST 2009

As I wrote before, I don't understand where anyone comes out ahead in this
mess and possibly illegal process.

**If** the lot is being taken care of and maintained, while a property owner
is doing their best
at repairs and then the parish decides it's not fast enough to suit **them**
the property
owner loses a house they were working on. If I were the property owner then
I would walk
away from it at that point. If I had been maintaining grass and yard I
would stop paying for
it. Then, it would become a problem for the neighbors who will have rodents
and snakes in
an uncut piece of property. You might say "Oh the parish will seize it or
put a lien on it for not cutting the grass." Then I would reply "Go ahead.
Let the parish take over the expense
of cutting the lot." After having a house involuntarily bulldozed I would
have no interest in
keeping up the yard/lot. My, by then, former neighbors would of course be
angry but I would have to point them in the direction of the parish
government because it was **they** who chose to take a situation that was
not a problem and turned it into a problem for those
neighbors.

#84200

A Government Big Enough to Give You Everything You Want is Powerful
Enough to
Take Everything You Have - Thomas Jefferson"

many who may make favorable comments about illegal demolitions may
also be
those who see nothing wrong with banning single-family dwelling
rentals only in
the Murphy buyup area, or denial of building permits only in the
Village Square
area --- coupled with the giving of development
rights only to one special out
of town developer or corporation

some may praise the demolitions without realizing the condemnation
and appeals
process is lacking at best in the notifications, if not more private
property
rights issues. while the local blight laws must be enforced and
there are
always some who will misuse the appeals process with no intention of
securing
the house or maintaining the yard, there are numerous others who are
working on
the homes only to find what they have rebuilt has been taken.

on another property right issue, there are families in homes and
neighborhoods
long-since revitalized, and unknown to them, they have been
designated to be
bought out for another's profit. the government should never push
the
property nor home owner towards buyups and the taking of private
property, be it
through denial of residential redevelopment rights, denial of
participation in
the LLT Lot
Next Door Program, rental PUPs or even a moratorium on building
permits to support the giving of commercial or20industrial
redevelopment to
another, well ...it is unconscionable in my limited understanding

the end doesnot justify the means

SJK