[StBernard] Parish Threatens To Tear Down Renovated Home

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sat Feb 14 21:02:52 EST 2009

Ah, and so it is. However, since we can easily repeat the past, Some in
under-estimatations while others in mistakes and still others in ignorance,
we try our best to advance.

Too bad there are unforeseen circumstances which limit us to becoming
whole/complete in our quest for recovery someday. Let me remind all that
recovery is not a one year process. After decimation, it is a "lifelong"
process. Never goes away any more than trying to forget that a love one's
death finalizes our thoughts that they were dear to us. They existed and we
shall remember up onto death or until our minds are clouded by mental
infirmaries/Alzheimer's disease. We remember because post-trauma won't allow
us to move that portion of the disease out of our memory banks.

But, like others here, we have serious issues which block out ability to
proceed to recovery.

I did notice that some of those who either wrote here or elsewhere have
decided to move on. Some were helpful in the early stages after Katrina then
elections came and they went away--for whatever reason. Perhaps they got too
comfortable with their new positions and feel the recovery period has ceased
for all. For those, their Maker will have the last say.

I will tell you this. If I had the position to make those significant
assistance efforts for some here and not on this listserv, whether it be
council, Parish President or in a position which involves interaction and of
power to assist those now pleading--no begging to be included in the
recovery process but cannot because of details, red-tape, being ignored, or
forgotten, I would certainly offer whatever resources I could to make it
happen, in the immediate sense. Now.

Those in power or have authority to make stumbling blocks less stressful,
confused, or painful in frustration have an obligation to help the less
fortunate here. When one is sinking in mud, our conscience tells us to help
pull the victim out. Why can't the same effort be applied to those victims
who are struggling at the least here?

Complacency is not an answer. Where are the ones who can help speed things
along for those who are about to throw in the towel because their hope has
become hopeless as time went on in their recovery?

"mercy of the government", you say?

Does or has the governments offered any mercy to those who cry out--even as
we approach a 4th anniversary? I say this because folks, as we move on--we
sometimes move backwards. If we cannot depend upon those who have been part
of the storm issue and know its misery, when shall we learn to depend upon
those who cannot envision what we encountered?

First, we look to the Parish President who needs to answer to those here and
online who beg to ease confrontation during rehabilitation. Some who are
frustrated enough would say, "we demand his attention" as he has the power
to assist those who fall though the cracks, get inundated in piles of
paperwork and so forth. Is he still around online? Perhaps, not as much as
he should. He was here during the storm and we thank him for that. But, the
storm is still ongoing and many who petition him online and through
telephone might be getting a deaf ear. For many--the storm will truly never
be over.

One thing is certain. When it comes to the upcoming election, everyone's a
pachyderm--who never forgets.

And as we all know--we reap what we sow.

--jer--

Angie,

Honey, I totally understand and empathize with your and everyone else's
situation. I AM TOO on a fixed income. I am retired, but trust me, that
retirement check barely makes ends meet these days.

I said I am going to rebuild, but I AM also at the mercy of the government
in what proceeds I will be entitled to to rebuild. I lost my home which was
pre-katrina appraised at approximately $200,000.00. If I don't
rebuild...i'll be the proud owner of a worthless piece of land. At one time
the lots in our area started at $85,000!!! Now...I probably couldn't get
$25,000 for the lot.

The only resources i'll have are what i'm getting from Road Home and the
HMGP Elevation Grants. AND...what sucks even more is, I'm getting these
resources but am being penalized because we (everyone who is entitled) have
to pay taxes on those monies! Boy...was I naive...i always thought GRANT
meant non-taxable!!

I probably could have tried mold remediation and rebuilt the insides, but
with my health issues, my physician said if it were his mother, he would
advise against her rebuilding. So with my health practioner's advice, I
made the decision to demo and start over. It was NOT without much anguish
and STILL many emotional roller coaster days and nights. BUT...I really try
not to dwell on things I have no control over. It WAS eating me alive!!

When I left my home, I left with only 3 days of clothes. Every other time
we ever had to evacuate, I'd always pack the van to the roof with family
pictures, (I lost my husband at the very early age of 37 and all I had left
of him were pictures), baby albums, wedding album, family bible and many
other irreplaceable items. This time...like a fool...who will kick herself
till the day she's pushing up daisies...I didn't bring anything. So...I've
grieved for my irreplaceable items...but I'm TRYING to move on and live FOR
the FUTURE and not dwell on in the past.

Rena