[StBernard] Parish Threatens To Tear Down Renovated Home

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sat Feb 14 18:53:04 EST 2009

Back in fall 2005 there was some talk about trying to use the Hannan
Manors to house essential parish government workers around the time of the
old cruise ship housing and getting the FEMA trailers at the Gov. Complex
since the football field was being rented and used by Murphy Oil
contractors. That is the only parish interest I have ever heard of for the
Manors.
After talking to people at Christopher Homes, a division of the
Archdiocese, Craig, and several council members over the years this is what
I understand about the 3 buildings. FEMA policy is that they will only pay
for the flooded first floor of a building with several stories, either to
renovate or tear down. Someone, think FEMA, cleaned out the first floor
only. The Archdiocese hasn't spent any money that I know of to repair
windows, secure the buildings, or provide maintance for the grounds. Some
of the former renters have removed their property. A volunteer Christian
group who were cutting the grass and picking up trash last spring told me
there was still plenty of personal property left in them. It is disgusting
to all the neighbors who have worked hard on their property in this part of
Meraux. The latest I have heard is that FEMA will now pay the entire amount
to take down all 3 buildings after I spoke at a council meeting about this
about 2 weeks ago. It can't happen soon enough for me. I would love for a
local developer to buy this land and develop the rest of Hannan Blvd
(including the storage buildings that are in the same condition) as home
sites. I have talked to a few people about this but it is all about the
profit. I have thanked the parish for taking down the Taco Bell building as
part of their "eat the cost" demo of one commercial building per month as
FEMA won't pay to demo commercial property.
The parish does have a lease for the Hannan High school site and has
paid for ball fields for football and soccer. Just this week the papers had
an article about renovating the two story arts building for use by the
children/teens of the parish and needing workers.
The old Kmart -Sears...site is supposed to be in bankrupcy but is at
least cleaned out and now fenced in since Mc Donald's opened. Walgreens is
building a store on the site of the gas station at the entrance of
Lexington.
Oh and by the by I always sign my name but would like to meet the other GB.
Gayle Buckley

I heard the parish bought them for low income housing. Not sure if
it is
true.