[StBernard] Ground breaking of two fire stations in St. Bernard

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Feb 18 15:36:27 EST 2009

Ground Breaking of Fire Stations No. 5 and No. 7 held Feb. 18

More examples of growth in St. Bernard Parish

St. Bernard Parish President Craig P. Taffaro Jr., the Fire Department and
the Parish Council held a Ground Breaking of Fire Station No. 5 at 2000 East
Judge Perez Drive in Chalmette and one at Fire Station No. 7 at 5680 East
Judge Perez Drive in Violet on Feb. 18 to celebrate more examples of
Recovery and Growth in St. Bernard Parish.

"This is another bright spot for our 2009," Parish President Craig P.
Taffaro Jr. said. "We want to recognize our partnership with the Governor's
Office and with FEMA."

Robin Keegan, deputy director for the Louisiana Recovery Authority, LRA
Board member Walter Leger and Parish Councilman Mike Ginart was on hand for
the ceremonies to celebrate the projects as were several officials involved
with the projects.

JaRoy Construction is in charge of construction at Fire Station 5. Work at
this station began in mid-January and is expected to be completed in eight
months. This brand new station, which is being built on the corner of Judge
Perez Drive and Lena Drive to replace the one at Jacob Drive, will cost
$1,396,428.

Stallings Construction is in charge of the construction at Fire Station 7.
The previous, flood-damaged station at the corner of Guerra Drive has been
demolished. Work on the new station began in mid-October and is expected to
be completed in eight months. It will cost $2,396,700.

Stuart Consultants and L-7 Architects are in charge of the design for both
stations. Dennis Tauzin is the project manager for both projects for CDM
which provides oversight for all FEMA-funded projects. Gil Carlin is the
project manager for both stations as well for St. Bernard Parish Department
of Public Works.

For more information about Recovery and Growth in St. Bernard Parish, visit
our website at www.sbpg.net.

###