[StBernard] TAFFARO recall attempt - my opinion

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Feb 18 15:35:19 EST 2009

Below is the text of a Letter to the Editor of the TP I submitted today (I don't know if it will be published but I needed to vent my opinion). We have used every penny and are in debt at our age just to rebuild and I am angry some moved and abandoned their property (not those that are ACTUALLY in the process of rebuilidng).
--------

NOT ENOUGH TIME FOR DEMOLITION IN ST BERNARD?

The vain is popping out in my neck right now. Some complain that St Bernard government has not given them enough time to repair their homes. I’m not great at math but hasn’t it been 42 months (3-1/2 years) since Katrina -- when is enough time?

I understand that some did not wish to return and I sincerely wish them well in their new beginnings. Katrina inflicted financial as well as emotional losses that may take years to heal.

However, I do not feel it is fair to those of us that have struggled both physically and financially to rebuild our homes to wonder exactly how long it will take for the scars of our neighborhood to heal.

As one of many parish residents that view neighboring abandoned property daily, I fully support our parish government’s position and efforts to redevelop our community and enforce related violations. Without guidelines, ordinances and time frames we cannot rebuild our parish.

It’s time. We must move on.

Again, if you are actually rebuilding, then great BUT if you're trying to sell your gutted home and it still sits there -- it should go.
--
DEBORAH L & STEPHEN A ROSENBERGER