[StBernard] Danger from the opposition

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu Feb 19 13:14:58 EST 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Adam Ruben, MoveOn.org Political Action
[mailto:moveon-help at list.moveon.org]
Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2009 8:26 AM
To: Westley Annis
Subject: Fixing the economy

96% of MoveOn members who voted yesterday want to launch a massive campaign
to transform America by creating a clean-energy economy. This is a $3
million program-and the first step is to hire a dozen new community
organizers. We need to raise $500,000 by the end of the week-can you chip in
$15 a month?

Dear MoveOn member,

Know the old story about how the Chinese character for 'crisis' combines the
words 'danger' and 'opportunity'? That idea really captures what's happening
with the economy right now.

Obviously, the situation is dangerous: Millions of people are losing their
jobs as the recession worsens. But we're also facing a once-in-a-lifetime
opportunity: the chance to create millions of green jobs and save the planet
from climate change-to create a green economy. America's ready for big, bold
ideas. This is the moment for transformational change.

That's why MoveOn's gearing up to launch an unprecedented
community-organizing program, built on the lessons of the Obama campaign and
our own experience over the years to create a mandate so overwhelming that
Washington won't be able to ignore it.

It's a big step-bigger than anything we've ever done before-and it'll
require all of us to help out. Can you chip in $15 a month to support our
campaign? It's easy to sign up, and you can cancel whenever you want.

Yesterday, a resounding 96% of those voting agreed we should launch a
massive campaign to transform America by creating a clean-energy economy
with millions of new, green jobs.

So here's the plan: We're going to triple the number of field organizers
MoveOn has working with members around the country. We'll be able to run
three times as many actions targeting members of Congress, and we'll make
them three times as effective.

What does that look like in practice?

* Intensive focus on target states: We'll focus more organizers like
on members of Congress who are critical swing votes-places like Ohio, Maine,
and Pennsylvania.
* Developing new volunteer leaders: We'll run skills trainings across
the country to expand the number of leaders in local communities-people who
can run rallies, or recruit small-business owners to join the cause.
* Turn up the heat on targets in Congress: We'll make sure key members
of Congress are hearing more from us than from Big Oil. We'll use call-in
days, petition deliveries, and press conferences to keep the pressure on.

We're ready to make a huge commitment to this effort, but we need to know
we'll have the resources to pull it off. So we're counting on you-can you
chip in $15 per month? Click here:

Thanks for all you do.

-Adam, Lenore, Ilyse, Michael and the rest of the team