[StBernard] A Message from Congressman Charlie Melancon

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Fri Mar 6 14:00:17 EST 2009

Dear Mr. Annis:

Thank you for writing me to express your support for making private and
religious schools eligible for funding authorized in H.R. 1, the American
Recovery and Reinvestment Act.

Growing up in South Louisiana, I am personally aware of the tremendous value
of private and religious schools in our communities. Many of our best and
brightest are graduates of these schools, and I am greatly appreciative of
all that they contribute to our district and state.

You will be happy to know that Louisiana will receive $587 million from the
State Stabilization Fund authorized in the stimulus to prevent cuts to
education. Of this, the state can use $107 million to modernize facilities
and provide services to elementary and secondary schools and colleges. Both
public and private schools and universities are eligible to receive these
funds.

In addition, our state will receive $197 million for special education and
$269 million in Title I funding for schools with high populations of
economically disadvantaged children. These funds are also available to any
school students with special needs and at-risk students attend, public or
private.

I believe all children should be provided with the resources they need to
receive a proper education and should have available to them support
services necessary to achieve academic success. I will continue to fight for
additional funding to ensure that our children graduate from high school and
go on to higher education.

As a member of the U.S. House of Representatives, I value the opinions of my
constituents. Hearing your views helps me make decisions on legislation that
I must consider. I encourage you to write again in the future if there are
any other issues that you have concerns about.

Thank you again for contacting me about this issue. I am proud to represent
Louisiana's Third Congressional District, and I am here to serve you. Please
do not hesitate to contact me again if I may be of further assistance.
Please visit my website at www.house.gov/melancon to sign up for my
e-newsletter to learn more about my work at home and in Washington.

Sincerely,

Charlie Melancon
Member of Congress
CM\lb