[StBernard] Dancing to Big Labor's Tune

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Mar 11 15:37:40 EDT 2009

Dancing to Big Labor's Tune
by Newt Gingrich

After spending an astounding $61 million to elect Democrats in the 2008
elections, union bosses are getting their payback this week.

Yesterday, so-called "Card Check" legislation was introduced in both the
House and the Senate.

Card Check strips American workers of the right to a secret ballot and gives
the federal government the right to impose labor contracts on workers.

The timing of this assault on the freedom of the American workplace could
not be worse. A new study
<http://paracom.paramountcommunication.com/ct/2890742:3692360971:m:1:4612231
3:93503AFEB8DE150628E9548E7B764B70> shows that for every three workers
coerced into joining a union under Card Check, one job will be eliminated by
besieged American businesses.

Card Check Could Eliminate 600,000 Jobs In Its First Year

That means that an estimated 600,000 jobs could be lost due to Card Check in
the first year alone - and that's on top of the over four million jobs
already lost to the flagging economy.

Card Check is a job killer. Even Obama supporter Warren Buffet opposes it,
saying "I think the secret ballot is pretty important in the country. I'm
against card check." Watch him here
<http://paracom.paramountcommunication.com/ct/2890744:3692360971:m:1:4612231
3:93503AFEB8DE150628E9548E7B764B70> .

But as far as Big Labor is concerned, a deal's a deal. Their goal is to get
their allies in Washington to ram Card Check through Congress this week,
before anyone notices that American workers and businesses are losing
fundamental rights.

That's why we need to act, and we need to act today at
AmericanSolutions.com/FreedomNotFear
<http://paracom.paramountcommunication.com/ct/2890745:3692360971:m:1:4612231
3:93503AFEB8DE150628E9548E7B764B70> .

Biden to Unions: "You All Brought Me to the Dance...It's Time We Start
Dancing"

What's happening in Washington this week is old style, quid-pro-quo politics
- the kind President Obama pledged as a candidate to end. Supporters of the
so-called Employee Free Choice Act (that's their Orwellian name for Card
Check) claim to be all about protecting American workers.

But leave it to Vice President Joe Biden to inadvertently tell the truth.

In a meeting with the AFL-CIO last week, Biden made it clear
<http://paracom.paramountcommunication.com/ct/2890746:3692360971:m:1:4612231
3:93503AFEB8DE150628E9548E7B764B70> who's calling the shots when it comes
to American workers, businesses and jobs. He told the gathering of union
big-wigs:

"You all brought me to the dance a long time ago, and it's time we start
dancing."

82% of Democrats Oppose Eliminating the Secret Ballot

For big labor and their allies in Washington, it's time to start dancing -
and dancing fast.

Vice President Biden and the union bosses hope to duplicate with Card Check
the Obama Administration's success in rushing the mammoth $787 billion
stimulus bill through Congress so quickly most members never had time to
read it.

The reason they have to act quickly is simply this: The vast majority of
Americans - 77 percent of Republicans, 82 percent of Democrats and 79
percent of independents - oppose what they're trying to do. (Source
<http://paracom.paramountcommunication.com/ct/2890747:3692360971:m:1:4612231
3:93503AFEB8DE150628E9548E7B764B70> )

Not only that, but the latest surveys show that a full 82 percent of
Americans say they don't want to belong to a union.

The Stakes Are High This Week

But it's precisely this kind of pro-secret ballot, pro-freedom sentiment
among the American people that makes union bosses so eager to pass Card
Check.

Under Card Check, union organizers and their enforcers will be able to go
into any small business, hospital or construction site and coerce workers
into signing cards. If they get 50 percent plus one, the deal's done, and
the workers are forced into a union. And if management and the new union
fail to reach a negotiated contract, the federal government will just impose
one. Coerced unionization allows for what is effectively a new,
unaccountable form of forced taxation. Workers will have a portion of their
paycheck going to the union to be spent as the bosses see fit, including
political donations to parties and candidates that the workers may not even
support.

Talk about an "offer you can't refuse." There's no vote. No secret ballot.
No right to freely negotiate the contract. The workers, the workplace, and a
portion of the worker's paychecks are controlled by the union bosses.

For Americans like you and me, the stakes are high this week. Hanging in the
balance are literally hundreds of thousands of jobs, not to mention
fundamental freedoms like the ability of small businesses to create and
sustain jobs, the freedom of American workers to have a say in how their
workplace is organized, and the freedom of American workers to freely choose
whether they want to give money to politicians and political parties.

Congress Is Holding Hearings This Week

Make Your Voice Heard at AmericanSolutions.com/FreedomNotFear
<http://paracom.paramountcommunication.com/ct/2890745:3692360971:m:1:4612231
3:93503AFEB8DE150628E9548E7B764B70>

The time to act is now - this week, while Congress holds hearings on Card
Check.

You can make your voice heard by the people who matter most by joining in
American Solutions' "Freedom Not Fear" campaign.

Former Michigan Republican Chairman Saul Anuzis has agreed to lead this
effort for American Solutions. You can watch his video here
<http://paracom.paramountcommunication.com/ct/2890749:3692360971:m:1:4612231
3:93503AFEB8DE150628E9548E7B764B70> .

Freedom Not Fear is grassroots petition drive to preserve American jobs and
preserve the right of the secret ballot for American workers. Over 80,000
Americans have already gone to AmericanSolutions.com/FreedomNotFear
<http://paracom.paramountcommunication.com/ct/2890745:3692360971:m:1:4612231
3:93503AFEB8DE150628E9548E7B764B70> and signed the petition, but we need
more help.

Remember the "Drill Here, Drill Now, Pay Less" campaign from last summer?
With your help we were able to change hearts and minds on Capitol Hill about
the necessity of using more safe, clean American energy.

We can do the same with Freedom Not Fear. Congress needs to hear from the
sweeping majorities of Americans of all political parties who oppose this
massive power grab by Big Labor.

The union bosses want to silence the voices of American workers and
businesses. Go to Americansolutions.com/FreedomNotFear
<http://paracom.paramountcommunication.com/ct/2890745:3692360971:m:1:4612231
3:93503AFEB8DE150628E9548E7B764B70> today and let them know that we won't
go down without a fight.

Your friend,
Newt Gingrich