[StBernard] Parades

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Mar 11 15:32:18 EDT 2009

Parades,

Dam how we forget;

There's been trouble in specific areas for years with our St Bernard parades
just as there is in any other parish. I started riding in local parades in
1977. Unfortunately even then some of the youth and young adults in the
area along the routes would drink and get out of hand.

One of those areas years ago was at the McKenzie's on W. Judge Perez. The
Sheriff's office always manned this area with more deputies. I can remember
they would throw stuff back at us if they didn't like what we threw.

In the eighties they started hanging out at Daiquiri Paradise and the same
thing would happen. Fights, throwing stuff at the float riders, fowl
language being yelled at us etc.

I can remember needing to get a deputy to handle a situation where these
guys were putting others on their shoulders and reaching up and taking our
beads. I even had one guy arrested during one of the parades.

Our parades since Katrina have drawn crowds so much larger than any single
one parade before. They have become family gatherings. Yes there was
trouble this year, not that much more different than some incidents in the
past just publicized more.

The positive note is that the people responsible for the parades and the
floats will implement additional restrictions to enable a safer environment
in future parades.

J Dolese. (Shangrila, Juno, Aphrodite, Gladiators)

---