[StBernard] Parades

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu Mar 12 08:28:59 EDT 2009

"The positive note is that the people responsible for the parades and the
floats will implement additional restrictions to enable a safer environment
in future parades." Jill Dolese."

Jer Responds:

Yeah. Even with police nearby, these "perps" daringly push the envelope to
the next level of violence. Nothing, absolutely nothing is preventative to
this means because the problem is ingrained into this generation's demeanor.
The jail population bears this out that we're living in perilous days and
nights. Now the terrorist at parades are reaching out to other areas along
parade routes to establish territory. More drinking, more drugs and more
fear. One might say the "horse is far gone beyond and out the gate". With
gangs growth come more terror. Where is the needed return to good old days?
Long gone?

Wouldn't it be nice if we could return to those days where we heard of no
outstanding violence (from both from crowd and of riders?). I can remember
the good old days where families actually didn't fear areas in St. Bernard
where incidents now have occurred frequently escalating over the past 10
years.

Parking near the parade site meant one parked their cars and trucks hrs to a
day before and was guaranteed a spot along the parade route.

No where can I remember an incident occurring which includes knifes, guns
and other bloody battles and I've been to everyone one since the late 60's
(even on Mardi Gras Day parade). So much courtesy, no swearing/foul language
because great respect existed for the ladies and children nearby, no pushing
people under floats, no throwing crap to anyone or back to float riders.
Riders and crowd was courteous as to make sure no one got hurt or if one
knew someone, no struggle over the rider's intent to make sure a rider's
friend or relative, or someone who caught the rider's eye.

Gosh! Danger or bad dudes in da crowd wasn't even part of the psyche or
imagination. Crowd control was superb.

What has happened to people and parades, courtesy and safety, and trash that
now includes more than just bead wrappers and an occasional peanut bag?

Where did the good times go? To those who can remember these times, they are
fond memories. To those who can only remember more recent activity and
developments, there are so much that were missed.

Maybe it's the sign of the times. Perhaps it's the new breed of people stuck
in dumb and discourteousness mode. Perhaps violence is the new variable
inserted between the lines of goodness and love of a good time.

Disheartening. And many know that carnival clubs are concerned. Insurance
rates are skyrocketing, stipulations and rules are changing to adjust but
for some, it's only hurting membership in some clubs and at some parades,
throws are reported being skimmed through these hard economic times.

Some choose to ignore issues in exchange for having a good time anyway. A
good time is always preferable to a miserable one. Hopefully we don't hear
more terrifying news at some point in the future's effort to have a good
time.

-jer--