[StBernard] Fight President Obama's Pro-Union Card Check Bill

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu Mar 19 20:59:05 EDT 2009

If you have been watching national political developments with the same
horror that I have, you know that it's time for average working Americans to
have their voices heard and common sense be at least considered in this
country.

One of the most onerous of the bad policy initiatives being proposed by
the current administration, is the so-called Employee Free Choice Act
("EFCA") which is actually a union mandate on private enterprise.

Sen. Mary Landrieu is a key swing vote in this area and it is critical
that she votes against cloture, which is the ending of debate in the
Senate. As you know, Democrats have majorities in the House and the Senate
and a cloture vote to end debate (which takes 60 votes) is the only
realistic chance of stopping this anti-business measure.

EFCA deprives employees of the freedom to vote on forming a union by
disposing of secret ballots. It also removes an employer's freedom to speak
to his or her employees about how union would impact employees and
businesses. The measure would destroy the freedom of private parties to
contract by eliminating collective bargaining and replacing it with
federally- mandated arbitration.

As we know, American industries who currently in the most trouble, such
as the automobile industry, are dominated by unions, and contributed to
their non-competitiveness. Private business owners who are struggling to
make ends meet in a difficult economy do not need such burdensome and costly
regulations and federal government meddling.

I spoke recently with a local fire chief, who's employees are already
union. He is opposed to the bill because of the mandated collective
bargaining and federal arbitration.

Please let your voice be heard and contract Sen. Landrieu and urge her to
vote against a cloture vote of the EFCA.
Sen. Mary Landrieu number 202-224-5824
Chief of Staff jane_campbell at landrieu.senate.gov
Congressman Charles Melancon 202 - 225 - 4031

Please let your voice be heard now!
Thanks,
Tim Burns
PS: I wanted to let everyone know that I'm having an April 1 fund-raising
event. Details of the event or donations can be made at www.timburns.com
<http://www.timburns.com/> Please 985-502 -4805 for more information.