[StBernard] Houses not demolished - but houses once divided..

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue Mar 31 18:13:08 EDT 2009

"Jer ~ It doesn't matter if you live in da-parish ~ you tell it

like it is. It doesn't matter where you live ~ you make more sence

than the guy's da-parish voted in. Thank's AK"

Jer Responds:

Thanks for your high regards. As everyone who knows me, my love of St.
Bernard and the treasures that I've enjoyed for over 40 years there gives me
so much pleasure and I am as loyal a patriot to my hometown as some who are
hypercritical, yet do little to thank the parish for everything it has given
them.

As a part of the solid south, St. Bernard Parish is second to none in
parishes (in my most humbled opinion). I belonged to three or more
organizations whose service to the community was also second to none and
included the Rotary Club, Boy Scouts of America, Jaycees, and other loyal
organizations. I consider my devotion to St. Bernard Parish impeccable.

However, that does not reserve my love of seeing St. Bernard Parish become a
leader in the south (if it had more leadership which is needed to reach its
full potential). Some of the leadership is scaled back to collecting a
paycheck. I believe those who are capable should do so out of the goodness
to their community with pro bono work to further the recovery effort. To
those who have decided to remain (jobs there, little money to do anything
but try and make a go with what they have, etc.), I salute you.

Furthermore, I am a conservative advocate and activist to seeing that my
hometown gets a fair shake, receives political reforms from the dastardly
black eyes from the past, and otherwise.

I will never run for office in a similar vein as my good and dear friend,
Ron Chapman once said: "He could do much better with public relations about
what's right or wrong with the parish, than getting tangled up in a
political free-4-all",

--in other words a political quagmire, where the foundation of community
service is enveloped in things from dishonesty, to politics as usual,
favoritism, et cronyism to say the least.

A famous gentleman once said: "those who believe truly in politics had
better leave their personal lives and beliefs at the door, for someone is
going to knock the hell out of them once you set afoot on unholy ground".
(--jer, 2009).

But in free speech as some have mentioned does not come without criticism
and I'm up to the challenge hither or nyet.

God's given me the skill of recognizing the truth when I see it. If it looks
spoiled or corrupted, I cut it open and bury it. No quarters taken, just
pure commonsense and a love for justice.

I do hope all can move along a little faster for my taste, though. It's as
though St. Bernard has been fleeced and thrown into a black hole and in
suspended animation when a disaster takes 10-15 years to forgive its debt
it's caused. It would be nice if more who are of service-minded can
volunteer more because outside help is little and far between. It truly is
only as good as the next major catastrophe, and then all eyes and ears are
quickly attuned to the current state of events, unfortunately.

The real story I've often told comes with resource hogs which are hindering
most progress we need as victims: Crime, dishonesty in office, the economy
because of both are doing a number on our ability to stay focused on
complete happiness. But, unfortunately, humans as we are--these egregious
shortfalls and pitfalls of humans along with corruption will always be with
humankind. That is because humans are who we are--corruptible.

Best wishes to all my friends and adversaries. Our God is but a discussion
away to Him.

--jer--