[StBernard] Opening Regular Session

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue Apr 28 22:18:53 EDT 2009

April 28, 2009

Opening Regular Session

Last year we sent a strong message that the politics of old are no longer
acceptable here in Louisiana, and we took some great steps forward in
reforming our state's ethics laws, tax structure, and workforce development
systems, among other things. These strong commitments have helped protect
our state from the worst of the current national economic crisis, and have
provided a solid foundation for future reforms.

This week marks the beginning of the regular session of the Legislature - a
session that will greatly affect the future of our state. Although we
continue to outperform the national economy, it is still critical that we
reform our state's budgeting process to ensure our continued financial
stability. We already began this process last week by creating the
Commission on Streamlining Government, which will study the functions of all
our state agencies, looking for ways to consolidate duplicative programs and
ensure that the purposes of our state agencies, many of which were created
30 years ago, are still relevant. <http://click.bsftransmit1.com/Click
Thru.aspx?pubids=r4wYSSKo7Hn7aH5BJbB%2f5KrseBfxqLF1GGQds4WN8%2fU%3d&digest=j
nPsya313sokjDD%2fWwTgEQ>
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=Adazk97oWPohGUWeWkf032s
EV1R8kQooIPAFdpd9Z3A%3d&digest=NXt0dzxhjqtyxpRyTxTrLw> Read More >
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=0fwjlv3qzn%2fa3GCmpdfJJ
qYWLOTc2Cgco6wKfmFBIII%3d&digest=51q2Az9XC7rxnPAIFpCTCg>

Swine Flu Preparedness

We have been monitoring the current swine flu outbreak that originated in
Mexico, and have already taken some aggressive steps to prepare our state
for any possible ramifications. As the Thibodaux Daily Comet
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=bPpEJO6SsgwG%2fi5wxW%2f
O3H0hGgzf1s63%2bg0h6EC2dGU%3d&digest=dOJstyAKL883ze69BbLRo w> reported, we
have "activated a crisis action team to monitor the national trends and any
reported cases in Louisiana," and have triggered the statewide "sentinel"
physicians, who serve as the doctors on the front lines of any possible
outbreak.

While there are currently no confirmed swine flu cases in our state, it is
important that we prepare for the virus. By working closely with the
Louisiana Hospital Association and the "sentinel" physicians across the
state, we are keeping close track of any possible cases, assessing the
availability of the proper medications, and educating the public on the
disease.
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=dmUqWA4LeuHUCOcugeTSabt
eIrHRQ2ySfFoR30CQZt4%3d&digest=f79c5j0Sqh8APT%2f2dvVMAg>
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=nmq5HAVmapTZmQ53hBzjJTz
lFR9rzktINAcZhMJQagk%3d&digest=6tvHw0VjJPGO9s7uv ANNrA> Read More >
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=aaQG6BAfXf6OSKK3l4yc14I
%2bU%2f0ZpuZv%2b9vb6wLg1c0%3d&digest=a0NnkVGRPsyTmTiNwGbV5A>

Continuing to Outperform the National Economy

The Louisiana Workforce Commission announced last week that Louisiana added
4,600 nonfarm jobs in March and had the highest total ever for nonfarm March
employment numbers. As the Baton Rouge Advocate
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=1naKDgG6ZwAmV5J3
an189wgXTIoSVTyoKhEbsdAuxLY%3d&digest=gsRPNVOemIUu5SN7E3ZKgg> wrote, "The
state continues to dodge many of the recessionary effects dogging the
national work force."

This news comes on the heels of our state being the only one in the country
to add jobs in December and February, and the only state whose unemployment
rate decreased in January. While we are certainly still feeling the effects
of the national downturn, it is great news that we continue to add jobs and
bring new opportunities to the state.
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=8reXWDIMSzHUpUsbCluHQ1p
LahdHTEIUKs5t6yGRsgI%3d&digest=AFzc9yiMDZQmsM9Y5bM4tg> Read More >
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=HadIraRuPTuMclkh8sVljDg
9jWBrjWR3TnApiAxnqY8%3d&digest=aETg1rJO%2bb%2fAc3KQdCbmFg>

Strengthening our Workforce

I traveled to Shreveport last week to address the Louisiana Community and
Technical College System's (LCTCS) Annual Conference. LCTCS plays an
essential role in educating our students and preparing them to enter the
workforce, which in turn helps them find good jobs and provide for their
families.
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=065P9K6inGLcLtdyLa0L0vb
%2fCbY8eBBqm%2bX%2bwGQaxI4%3d&digest=bGJX9%2bHQ7EVeO6QnvPKCdw>
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=kmsZTixSOcfQYfoYeQ6tQbW
FUIMftdkv%2fUnxDpnHEOA%3d&digest=A%2byvKnTUU2mBc%2bw1ac5yGQ> Read More >
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=aRtiod7UIIsRF5dFjvFUHXG
cBNtUJIhIEtxWTO5omwA%3d&digest=OII74isdAcetXuEA1TxSew>

Providing Resources for Law Enforcement

Last Wednesday I was joined by State Police Superintendent Colonel Mike
Edmonson and Louisiana State Police Crime Lab Director Captain Layne Barnum
at the opening of the State Police Crime Lab DNA Unit's Expansion. The DNA
Lab's expansion encompasses an additional 23,500 square feet and will, as I
said to WWL-TV
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=Co16EjDj4Mx%2fCVXhwEQRm
LnRqy9xgHBJqe5kWGFovR0%3d&digest=p2Jsm1X%2bm6WQqvMpRQzXLw> , "give our
frontline men and women in law enforcement the tools they need to protect us
and keep us safe."
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=ZpXo8%2b97njBLx4BQXClL1
1b0QAEjibmuiFHk2RTf4ms%3d&digest=BOktrMtBAtHQcWAxvaeiyw>
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=F5sDDfTbmsKdmp3Ry7cqMO0
Mq8oAHe7yq%2fiXwCIsjDI%3d&digest=UzvHKsrL%2bkd2UBmBAmcxGg>
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=5sKkJOMDHV6B4O25aNp5MBG
E%2bdcDLiKszJM6S%2fDcVWQ%3d&digest=6NKx657ZKIltxcPxGuikXQ> Read More >
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=J9hurKqumjVikuoGTzpcGK6
9MGmmYyUTCmiBSsWc hmc%3d&digest=HIDoR9tDHYL5wK3Tf0MGtw>

Sincerely,

Governor Bobby Jindal