[StBernard] Ceremony to be held today for reconstruction of Our Lady of Lourdes in St. Bernard Parish

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue May 12 13:11:01 EDT 2009

Ceremony to be held today for reconstruction of Our Lady of Lourdes in St.
Bernard Parish
by The Times-Picayune
Tuesday May 12, 2009, 6:01 AM
Parishioners of Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church in St. Bernard Parish
will gather today to celebrate the reconstruction of their church.

Construction is already underway, but parishioners want to gather to
celebrate and give thanks, the Archdiocese of New Orleans said in a news
release.

The event begins at 4 p.m. at the site, 2621 Colonial Boulevard in Violet.

The church was flooded during Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

Father John Arnonne will lead the gathering with a formal blessing of the
site. In addition to parishioners, officials from the archdiocese and St.
Bernard Parish government will also be on hand.

"This feels like a long time coming," said Marianne Brazille, a member of
the church rebuilding committee.

"We wanted to show the community that this was really happening, the church
is being built and we're not just talking about it anymore," she added.

Our Lady of Lourdes is one of three Catholic Church parishes operating in
St. Bernard Parish and shares Arnonne with St. Bernard Parish in St.
Bernard.