[StBernard] FEMA Finally Agrees to Resolve Flood Zone Issue

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue May 12 15:54:04 EDT 2009

Dear Friend,

This week I received a written commitment from FEMA to work toward a
reasonable resolution on the high-risk flood zone issue that has hampered
our hurricane recovery in many coastal communities.

It took my blocking the approval of President Obama's nominee to be the new
FEMA administrator to finally get this response, but a one-week delay on
this nomination was minimal compared to how long folks in Louisiana have
often had to wait on FEMA.

Almost four years have passed since hurricanes Rita and Katrina, and south
Louisiana communities like Cameron, Lafourche and Plaquemines parish are
still waiting on answers from FEMA regarding how rebuilding can occur in
high-risk flood zones. These answers are necessary for fire stations and
other critical infrastructure and municipal buildings to be rebuilt so that
we can provide the basic municipal services that every community needs.

I've been pressing for these answers for months, since well before the
president even nominated a new FEMA administrator. After months of
non-response, I set up a conference call with the acting administrator on
Feb. 26, during which she said she understood the urgent nature of the
matter and expected a positive resolution very soon. But we waited more
than 70 days with no answers.

So after months of waiting, I decided to apply pressure to FEMA in a way
that I knew would get their attention - slowing down the confirmation of
their new administrator.

Last week I sent the acting Administrator a letter of good faith stating
that I would lift my hold on the nominee if FEMA would agree in writing to
my requests, and FEMA has agreed to help our coastal communities resolve
this high-risk flooding issue.

We had enough problems with FEMA during the last administration. We don't
need the same old FEMA under this new administration. I'm very confident
based on their written commitment that the V-Zone issue will be solved soon
so that crucial infrastructure and facilities can be rebuilt. And I look
forward to working with the new FEMA administrator on that and much more.

Sincerely,
David Vitter
U.S. Senator