[StBernard] Murphy explosion in 2003

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Fri Jun 5 16:54:41 EDT 2009

Explosions are why our community needs to create and to preserve a truly
protective green zone buffer, such as the empty green space which exists now
-- the greenspace mentioned in the Murphy 2005 crude oil spill fairness
hearing and in several council and community meetings.

Any commercial or industrial use of the buyout properties only lowers the
buffer and potentially brings the next explosion that much closer to our
homes. Some how incursion has already commenced with a petrochemical testing
laboratory on Jacob Drive -- a refinery lab which is somehow locally exempt
from a fire sprinkler system.

As the refinery adds more tanks north of the 20 arpent canal and more units
to meet new EPA mandates, one would hope they are also adding precautionary
measures which go beyond the industry norm, especially given the close
proximately to our neighborhoods and our community's only high school.

SJK