[StBernard] Success! FEMA agrees to move crucial projects in Flood Zone forward

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Fri Jun 5 23:16:09 EDT 2009

Dear Friend,

As you know, I blocked the confirmation of Craig Fugate, President Obama's
nominee to be FEMA administrator, until FEMA provided me with written
commitment to work toward a reasonable resolution on the high -risk flood
zone issue that has hampered our hurricane recovery in many coastal
communities. Today I have good news that resulted from these efforts.

Less than a month after that written commitment, I have received
confirmation from FEMA that the vast majority V-Zone projects that were on
hold for months and, in some cases years, will be able to move forward and
start construction.

Almost four years have passed since hurricanes Rita and Katrina, and south
Louisiana communities in Cameron, Lafourche and Plaquemines Parishes are
still waiting on answers from FEMA regarding whether rebuilding can take
place in these communities. Now projects ranging from a library in Grand
Isle to the South Cameron High School and vital first responder buildings
like fire stations in coastal communities can be rebuilt.

After months of non-response, I am extremely pleased with this news. It
is a huge step forward in the recovery and rebuilding efforts in our
coastal communities.

We've already seen enough problems with FEMA since Katrina and Rtia, and I
hope this decision is the beginning of FEMA finally working hand in hand
with local officials and residents to move forward with our ongoing
recovery efforts. Rest assured that I will continue to fight for Louisiana
every step of the way.

Sincerely,
David Vitter
U.S. Senator