[StBernard] BREAKING NEWS: Rep. Melancon Votes AGAINST Cap-and-Trade Bill for a Second Time

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sat Jun 27 11:17:07 EDT 2009

Dear Westley,

I'm writing to update you on the status of an important bill in Congress
many Louisianians are concerned about: the American Clean Energy and
Security Act
<http://melancon.congressnewsletter.net/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&g
piv=2100042147.42652.205&gen=1&mailing_linkid=7213> (H.R. 2454), also known
as the "climate change" bill or the "cap-and-trade" bill.

Today I voted against the bill in the House of Representatives because I am
concerned about how it would affect Louisiana's energy workers and
industries. While I am disappointed the bill still passed the House, I was
at least able to include an amendment that will protect funding for
Louisiana's wetlands restoration from unfair cuts. More about that below.

I opposed the climate change bill a month ago in the Energy and Commerce
Committee because I believed it would hurt south Louisiana and the people I
represent, and I voted against it today for the same reasons. The oil and
gas industry is the engine driving south Louisiana's economy, and has been
providing good-paying jobs to hundreds of thousands of our workers for
generations.

Rising sea levels and more frequent hurricanes are serious threats to south
Louisiana, threats caused by climate change. We must work together as a
nation to reduce the pollution causing this climate change, but not on the
back of our energy industry in Louisiana. I will continue to use my vote in
Congress to protect jobs and businesses in our state and create a brighter
future for our children.

While I voted against the climate change bill today, I will still continue
working with my colleagues on a comprehensive energy policy that will meet
our shared goal of reducing pollution, while also supporting the workers and
businesses of America's Energy Coast.

Melancon Amendment Protects Wetlands Restoration Funding

Although I did not support passage of the climate change bill, I am pleased
that it included my amendment to protect Louisiana's share of wetlands
restoration funding from cuts indirectly caused by hurricane disaster
assistance.

The American Clean Energy and Security Act creates a market-based
cap-and-trade system -- similar to the current system to reduce acid rain --
under which industries and utilities will buy carbon "allowances" from the
federal government. Businesses and utilities that reduce their carbon output
below the "cap" will be able to sell their extra allowances to businesses
that exceed the cap.

The federal government will also distribute to each state a share of the
proceeds from the sale of the allowances for the states to use for wildlife
and natural resource protection and also for programs to address the effects
of climate change, like wetlands restoration projects.

Each state's share of allowances is determined by their per capita income,
with less wealthy states receiving a greater portion. In committee, I was
able to convince my colleagues that, due to the influx of federal recovery
dollars and insurance payments following hurricanes, Louisiana regularly
experiences an artificial spike in its per capita income.

The Melancon amendment directs that revenue directly resulting from a
presidentially declared major disaster will be excluded when calculating per
capita income for the state allowances. This includes revenue from property
and casualty insurance, individual and family grants from FEMA, the Disaster
Housing Program of FEMA, the Community Development Block Grant Program of
the Department of Housing and Urban Development, the Disaster Unemployment
Assistance Program of the Department of Labor, and any other source
determined appropriate by the FEMA Administrator.

This amendment ensures that coastal states like Louisiana - those most in
need of adaptation money to rebuild their wetlands and protect themselves
from future hurricanes -- will not be punished for receiving disaster aid.

As your representative in Congress, I am proud to be working on behalf of
the people of south Louisiana and see great things in our future. As always,
I would like to hear from you so please feel free to write, email
<http://melancon.congressnewsletter.net/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&g
piv=2100042147.42652.205&gen=1&mailing_linkid=7214> or call my offices and
share your opinion on the many issues we are considering in Congress.

Regards,
Charlie Melancon