[StBernard] Fighting the Latest Attempt at Amnesty

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sat Jun 27 11:22:10 EDT 2009

Dear Friend,

A recent Roll Call newspaper article reported that Senate Majority Leader
Harry Reid believes he has "the votes and support" to take up immigration
legislation this year.

In the same article, Senator Charles Schumer from New York said that the key
principles to this legislation must include "a direct path to citizenship."

In spite of the fact that the American people have spoken clearly that
amnesty is an unacceptable means to address our ever-growing illegal
immigration problem, liberal leaders in Congress keep pushing it.

As the Chairman of the Border Security and Enforcement First Caucus I will
keep working with my likeminded Senate colleagues to stop this amnesty
legislation.

Amnesty sends the wrong message - that of a reward - to those who have been
evading our laws. And it is extremely unfair to all of the legal
immigrants who came to this nation and obeyed our laws to become citizens.

Congress and the president should focus on securing our borders and
strengthening our interior enforcement, not rewarding law breakers with
amnesty.

We need to dramatically improve our border security by having more agents
patrolling our borders and making major investments in infrastructure
improvements, such as strategic fencing and increased detention space, and
I'll keep fighting for these principles in the Senate.

Sincerely,
David Vitter
U.S. Senator