[StBernard] Free Yoga Classes Expand to Saturdays

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu Jul 2 16:47:07 EDT 2009

Swan River Yoga and the Community Center of St Bernard are pleased to
announce that the popular Yoga For The People! free yoga classes
currently held every Wednesday evening will now be expanded to include
Saturday sessions as well. Led by instructors Kim Martin, Cassie
Segal, Jackie Sumell, and D.D. Sargent from Swan River Yoga, the
Saturday classes will be offered every week from 11 AM – 12 PM at the
Community Center of St Bernard, 1107 LeBeau St, Arabi, beginning on
July 11. The Wednesday evening classes, led by Lauren Shepley and
Amanda Minogue, will also continue to meet weekly at 6 PM at the
Community Center.

The Yoga For The People! program, established in 2008, is the first
New Orleans-based yoga community outreach program. Inspired by a group
of yogis from NYC led by Katie McDonald, Yoga For The People!
currently offers classes at a variety of locations throughout the
greater New Orleans area including Catholic Charities, Trinity
Episcopal Church, and the Red Cross.

“Yoga is thought to release stress, and facilitate an accelerated rate
of healing of the physical body and psyche, so that we can all more
fully enjoy our lives with a sense of ease, support, and delight in
our community,” notes Michele Baker, who is the founder, co-owner, and
director of Swan River Yoga Teacher Training School. “Health and
happiness is our birthright. This is what the Yoga For The People!
program hopes to provide. The classes are an opportunity for our
teachers to experience Seva - compassion in action and selfless
service. A supportive community is the foundation of a yoga practice.
We thank the Yoga For The People! outreach partner agencies for giving
us the opportunity to experience such diverse depth of relationship
within our great city and region by allowing us to teach.”

Yoga class participants will learn simple breathing techniques,
meditation tools, and basic poses for releasing discomfort and
increasing health, benefiting the neighborhood, community, and beyond.
The Community Center has 20 yoga mats on hand, but participants are
welcome to bring their own. The classes are open to the public and
beginners are welcome to attend. No registration is needed and there
is no charge for the sessions. For more information about Swan River
Yoga’s many programs and services, please visit www.swanriveryoga.com.