[StBernard] Welcoming Our Third Fortune 500 Company

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sat Jul 11 13:03:17 EDT 2009

July 7, 2009

Welcoming Our Third Fortune 500 Company

Last week saw the successful completion of the proposed merger between
CenturyTel and EMBARQ, a move that will bring our state a third Fortune 500
company. The new company, CenturyLink, will be based in Monroe and, as
reported by the Monroe News-Star
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=aL%2fD7zn6INN9IDyr2ciBr
PBI0hlGVRVMyaDEIxinADM%3d&digest=MtVgPiWLyyhYLE%2beLnkIZQ> , the merger
"makes CenturyLink a powerful player in the telecommunications industry."

CenturyLink's choice to remain in Monroe, combining operations with EMBARQ's
current headquarters in Kansas, is yet another example of how competitive
our state is in competing for important economic development opportunities.
Another example of this was reported recently by the Baton Rouge Advocate
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=lmM9SaSaVnczcY2ADDr23uN
oqtGZlzK0K9xJr6BsjZk%3d&digest=vSug84Z SLM9GvPD0egclEg> , showing that Baton
Rouge has one of the strongest economies in the nation. Already this year we
have brought thousands of good-paying jobs throughout Louisiana, from Monroe
to Lake Charles to Baton Rouge, and we will continue to capitalize on these
victories as we move forward. Read More >
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=kQppSKqgr91oWlOx%2b%2f7
guTqwzzm%2bilSBHgIbAb3Hkh8%3d&digest=BHbWQ6nxCuNjRsYeQxNSLw>

Keeping Drunk Drivers off the Streets

I signed three important pieces of legislation into law last week that will
significantly strengthen our state's DWI laws and make our roads safer. As I
said in the New Orleans Times-Picayune
<http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/capital/index.ssf?/base/news-7/124651307416104
0.xml&coll=1> , "we are sending a clear message that we will not tolerate
dangerous, life-risking behavior on our roadways."

All of these bills were introduced on the recommendation of Louisiana's DWI
Task Force, and will lead to fewer alcohol related deaths and accidents on
our state's roads. Senate Bill 166 will criminalize driving with a license
that is suspended due to a prior DWI and bring with it mandatory jail time.
This is a tangible penalty for those who endanger our families and children
by driving drunk, and shows that we will not look the other way when these
individuals continue to drive even after their licenses have been suspended.
Read More >
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=CRRryIxrjbEHJt9DAmpNvYp
MNv1bMxvWf61c%2fsbbKU4%3d&digest=a7WIgtJVBqhGe5wsXCiRRQ>

Cracking Down on Sex Offenders

<http://images.publicaster.com/ImageLibrary/account848/images/09-07-07BillSi
gningSMALL.jpg> I visited Alexandria last week to sign nine bills into law
that will keep our kids safe from sexual predators. As reported by the
Alexandria Town Talk
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=8ZrDiRWOYloNdn8IYCQHu1a
A2gz23TJzLhDKTKbVps4%3d&digest=CUU0b%2bfSwESv42X3CgmLTg> , "the new
bills.will give law enforcement officers the tools they need to protect
children."

With technological innovations accelerating, we have to make sure that our
laws protecting our children against those that would do them harm keep up
with the times. HB 570 bans electronic communications between school
employees and students outside of school-related activities, and SB 145
criminalizes the unauthorized use of a wireless router for activities
involving child pornography. Read More >
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=BTS85wPut8grA1Bef5%2fUr
DJT%2bVl%2bNL9ZJQ1IKctVNvY%3d&digest=e%2bfJHvwFUNUz8jcqUApEZw>

Rebuilding our Coast

We received the great news from Washington last week that, after nearly a
year of negotiating with the federal government, FEMA has agreed to pay more
of the costs of the response and recovery operations following Hurricane
Ike. This decision could save our state and local governments up to $20
million. We will continue working with Louisiana's Congressional delegation
to secure the same approval for damages incurred by Hurricane Gustav in
order to cut the bureaucratic red tape that too often hampers the recovery
process.

We also received word that the National Oceanic and Atmospheric
Administration (NOAA) has committed more than $7 million for coastal
restoration projects in Plaquemines and Jefferson Parishes. This funding
will allow for the expansion of the Mississi ppi River Sediment Delivery
System at Bayou Dupont - a groundbreaking new project that will allow us to
use sediment from the Mississippi itself to restore our marshlands instead
of bringing it in from elsewhere. Read More >
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=kDlJ3mkhmmvMhKMDkCFBu1e
eaUfsc8NVx61Sf0vj02A%3d&digest=v2eFodG1G2N3%2ft6hqO%2fVrw>

Providing Communities with the Resources they Need

I traveled to Monroe last week to present local law enforcement agencies and
governments with more than $318,000 in grants to help keep our communities
safer and improve the quality of life in our rural communities. More than
$136,000 in local government assistance grants, which are to be used for
critical local infrastructure projects, were given to Sterlington, Richwood
and the Ouachita Parish Police Jury, and the remaining funds were
distributed through Byrne Justice grants. As the Monroe News-Star
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=svAcDRuX%2f3%2f95d%2bYs
1LUdZxLG%2fovqkpnDaubrq7V0ug%3d&digest=40%2ft9%2fS0zV%2bNkc4jXBvwag>
reported, these grants "are awarded to programs which enhance law
enforcement, prosecution, adjudication, treatment and technology in order to
improve the criminal justice system."

Sincerely,

Governor Bobby Jindal