[StBernard] Deputy Shoots, Kills Dog Charging Neighbors

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Sep 15 07:30:26 EDT 2009

Deputy Shoots, Kills Dog Charging Neighbors
St. Bernard Parish Deputy Kills Labrador Retriever

POSTED: 5:23 pm CDT September 14, 2009
UPDATED: 11:35 pm CDT September 14, 2009

MERAUX, La. -- A St. Bernard Parish sheriff's deputy shot and killed a dog
that was charging after several neighbors, a spokesman said Monday.

People who live near Claiborne Street and Landry Court reported seeing a dog
acting aggressively Monday afternoon, upon which, law enforcement officials
said animal control officers were called. Animal control did not arrive
before, authorities said, the deputy did what he had to do.

Janice Adolph, who was home Monday afternoon when her daughter drove up with
the grandchildren, said a big yellow lab was on the front porch.

"I was coming out (of) the back yard and I didn't see the dog, and all of a
sudden the dog came at me and I was going around in circles screaming
because the dog was trying to attack me," Adolph said.

Adolph said the dog caused quite a commotion.

"His teeth were showing. I've never seen a dog like that before," Adolph
said.

Adolph said the dog then turned on her neighbor, a St. Bernard Parish
sheriff's deputy who had just walked outside.

Sheriff's spokesman Jimmy Pohlmann said a deputy was in the 2100 block of
Landry Court when he saw a yellow Labrador retriever charge several
neighbors. He then shot the dog three times, Pohlmann said. The dog was not
wearing a collar or tags.

"He was off-duty at the time. When his family had pulled up, the dog had
made some aggressive moves," said Pohlmann.

The deputy involved, whose name has not been released, said the animal
nearly bit a woman carrying an infant and pinned several children in a car
before the dog approached the off-duty officer.

Chelsea Campo said she heard it and was surprised because she'd seen the dog
earlier.

"I was going to walk my dogs but I seen it pass. So, I walked outside and I
seen it, and so I went to go give it some water and it came up to me and I
petted it. The dog did not seem vicious to me," Campo said.

Others in the neighbor reported seeing the dog acting aggressively early
Monday morning.

"Anytime a deputy discharges a weapon, an investigation has to take place,
and that means interviewing witnesses and bringing detectives out to the
crime scene," Pohlmann said. "I was involved in the investigation, and, at
this point, it clearly shows the dog was aggressive, and that the deputy
used appropriate action."

"I love animals and I have an animal, but this dog, if he would have gotten
my granddaughter or my grandson ... I don't know what we would have done,"
Adolph said.

Some argued the officers could have used pepper spray or a Taser gun to stop
the dog, but law enforcement said they feel the deputy did the right thing.

Law enforcement will not confirm the identity of the deputy.

The dog's body was removed by St. Bernard Parish Animal Control. Officials
said it will not be tested for rabies because no one was bitten.