[StBernard] Thanks...

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue Sep 15 07:31:10 EDT 2009

>I would like to know if any of you brought up the fact that New Orleans

>East denied permits of a similar nature, for our same reasons, but was not

>challenged with the racial innuendos that this parish is being challenged

>with.

I'm not a lawyer but I'm willing to bet that if this had been brought up in
the hearings
before the Federal Judge (Berrigan) she would say it was not germane to the
case before
her, i.e. St. Bernard and Provident.

This started with the fair housing group filing suit against the parish. I
don't believe
they are attempting to sue Orleans despite the fact it appears the same
thing
happened there.

JY

Do we have any lawyers out there who can comment?

Westley,

If you could pass this little note of thanks to all of the members
of the
parish council and planning commission, I would appreciate it.

I would like to thank all of you for trying to conserve the
integrity of
this parish.

I lived in New Orleans for a few years as an adult and moved back
here,
with my family, when I decided that I wanted a better life for my
two
babies.

I am not and could not be prejudice. I was brought up to love all
races,
religions, etc. To accept people for who they are, as "PRODUCTIVE"
citizens.

I live right in the middle of where they want to put these four
apartment
complexes. I don't understand why we have to approve them all at
once or
any of them at all. We have LOTS of properties for rent that are
still
empty.

I would like to know if any of you brought up the fact that New
Orleans
East denied permits of a similar nature, for our same reasons, but
was not
challenged with the racial innuendos that this parish is being
challenged
with.

I am trying to make a decision on whether or not I am going to
continue
working on my house or if I am going to put it up for sale. I have
spent
the last three days debating this issue with my husband. My children
are
older now and I have a child and grand child, that live with me, to
consider.

I have fought hard to be able to get my house to where it is now. I
feel
like it has all been in vain. Not because of your efforts, but
because of
the efforts of others who do not live here.

The people of St. Bernard have spoken through their council members
and it
has come on closed minds, deaf ears and blind eyes.

Brenda