[StBernard] Hundreds Come Out For Contaminated Drywall Meeting

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Sep 17 19:15:10 EDT 2009

Hundreds Come Out For Contaminated Drywall Meeting
Meeting About Chinese Drywall Held At Mandeville City Hall
WDSU.com
updated 3:47 p.m. CT, Thurs., Sept . 17, 2009
MANDEVILLE, La. - WDSU .com

Hundreds of people caught in the growing contaminated drywall problem packed
the Mandeville City Hall Wednesday night.

Thousands of people statewide, many of them on the Northshore, are
frustrated and angry that they're trying to survive and cope in homes built
with contaminated drywall, and few know where to turn.

"I'm hoping I can get some good answers tonight, especially for my family's
health," said Madisonville resident Kent Maykut.

Maykut said he deals with the problems caused by the contaminated drywall
every day. As if the smell and fumes aren't enough, he said, he and his
family are forced to watch as their dream home -- built in the wake of
Hurricane Katrina -- corrodes before their eyes.

"You may have to take your electrical out all the way up to your plumbing,"
Maykut said he was told. "He also told me any molding of wood, the cabinets,
your furniture -- it's all contaminated."

State Sen. Julie Quinn's office has been deluged with phone calls from
afflicted people wondering what they can do. Legislation is likely coming,
but people want to know what they can do immediately, which was the purpose
of Wednesday's meeting.

"Even if you think you know everything about your problem with Chinese
drywall, I still encourage you to come," Quinn said. "Not only will you
learn something you didn't know, you may be able to share information with
us we didn't know."

Maykut said he will certainly be at the meeting. Like so many others, he
said he faces a near post-hurricane-like gutting of his home to rid his
family of the contamination.

The expense is another concern, and Maykut said he wants to know where to
turn.

"It makes your stomach drop," he said. "You don't know which way to look
anymore."

Wednesday's meeting at Mandeville City Hall was full of medical, legal and
legislative experts. Officials said about 250 people attended, filling every
seat.

A litigation attorney from Florida who has dealt with that state's drywall
problems said the biggest issue in Florida, Louisiana and nationwide is not
enough people reporting the problem.

Quinn is going to Washington, D.C., in December to get a better idea of the
severity of the situation.

To report Chinese drywall complaints to the Attorney General's Office, call
800-351-4889.

The Florida attorney, Jeremy Alters, said there are an estimated 4,000 to
7,000 affected homes in Louisiana and 30,000 in Florida.