[StBernard] Why the Homestead Exemption Must Go - nonsense

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Mon Sep 21 07:23:41 EDT 2009

"I would not eliminate the Homestead Exemption without reducing taxes some
place, making it "revenue neutral", to use the popular term...But, my point
is still, the Homestead Exemption is becoming a farce --Westley

Jer Responds:

We agree to disagree, Westley. Taking away the exemption to Louisiana
Citizens and seniors is second-most to stealing away their social security.
These reduced-income citizens were given the exemption because of a good
reason. It was the equalizer to the worker vs. the fixed income receiver.
Next to the Great Depression of 1929, this Great Recession has plagued the
seniors to where they are beyond exchanging medicine for food. They get the
exemption because of their inability to receive substantial raises in
America. If the fox steals the chicken, people will be looking to the farmer
to find out why this happened. So it goes for politicians. People in
Louisiana are going to remember them, surely as insensitive "bastids" who
cared more about the working man than those who fought each day to buy
medicine and food.

Those hundreds of tax dollars not having to be concerned about is a blessing
and in my opinion should be doubled to meet today's inflation dollars since
first enacted.

Again, we agree to disagree. The seniors are already taxed out their Yazoo
with insurance for their homes, lives, and cars. Given them the exemption
lessens the pain (but still is but a small measure).

What communities need more of are what we had for many decades: volunteering
fire departments as a measure.

The Homestead Exemption is a farce to those who think like the 3 stooges.
It's serious business to those who have to count their pennies by
candlelight, use fans instead of A/C at most crucial times to keep down
costs, or can't visit doctors more regularly for a multitude of maladies
they have learned to tolerate or ignore.

I've lived in other cities where there is no homestead exemption, where
people continue to pay taxes not only on their homes, but on their cars,
etc. but, Louisiana has some of the highest taxes in the state already and
NOTHING to show for it. There are areas where NO income taxes, etc. are
withheld and they're faring better, with finer roads and bridges, etc,
better education, etc.

What's our problem? We need to manage money better than ever before. The
reform is a big step to mandate those from the top down for accountability.
Too much stealing/graft, overcharging by businesses, etc. in each community.
Too many people are greedy and corrupt. Countless are out to cheat the
system, the communities, etc. I can recall during pre-K the parish
government workers and some in government who were benefitting, cheating,
etc. Some may have been rumors, but some, unfortunately had to have truth
attached somewhere.

Here is where we take back not only on the national level, but down to the
grass roots of local municipalities.

Everyone is accountable and citizens should hold them to the standard of
honesty and accountability. That's where the power resides.

--jer--

Again, we agree to disagree.