[StBernard] LA GOP RELEASE: The Conservative Case For Reform

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Mon Oct 5 23:49:40 EDT 2009

In Case You Missed It...

The Conservative Case For Reform

Washington Post
By Bobby Jindal
Monday, October 5, 2009

"A majority of so-called Republican strategists believe that health care is a Democratic issue. They are wrong; health care is an American issue, and the Republican Party has an opportunity to demonstrate that conservative principles work when applied to real-world problems.

But memo to Washington: The debate on health care has moved on. Democratic plans for a government takeover are passé. The people don't want it. Believe the polls, the town halls, the voters. Only Democrats in Washington would propose new taxes on businesses and families in the middle of a recession, $900 billion in new spending at a time of record deficits, and increased taxes on health insurance and products to reduce health-care costs.

Washington is the only place in the country that doesn't realize that this debate is over. Democrats may march forward anyway, but they will do so without the people, and at their own peril.

Yet hope for meaningful reform need not be lost. Only two things need to happen. First, Democrats have to give up on their grand experiment and get serious about bipartisan solutions. Second, Republicans have to join the battle of ideas.

To be clear, the Republicans in Congress who have led the opposition to the Obama-Pelosi vision of health-care reform have done the right thing for our country. If they had rolled over, the results could have been devastating for our health-care system and our nation's budget.

But Republicans must shift gears. Conservatives should seize the mantle of reform and lead. Conservatives either genuinely believe that conservative principles will work to solve real-world problems such as health care or they don't. I believe they will..."

Click here to read Governor Jindal's 10 ideas to increase the affordability and quality of health care in today's Washington Post. <http://lagop.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=81f80dfae08a15f3629eabdeb&id=41d8c8d06e&e=6a30004df9>