[StBernard] eupdate 11 6 09

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sat Nov 7 09:59:37 EST 2009

e-update
11.6.09

Last week, I introduced a bill that would expand preventative cancer
services for underserved populations across Louisiana. Breast cancer
affects millions of women every year, and across our state, there are
thousands of families who are unable to access the preventative cancer
services they need to help reduce the impact of this disease on their
lives. This bill will fund mobile mammography vans that will bring these
services to them.

I've also been working to prevent detainees at Guantanamo Bay from
receiving the swine flu vaccine before high-risk segments of our population
can be vaccinated. And I've been working to prevent cap-and-trade
legislation - and its detrimental impact on Louisiana businesses and
families - from moving forward.

Below you can read about these and other issues that I'm working on, such
as working to bring relief to homeowners affected by Chinese drywall
issues.

David Vitter

P.S. - Please feel free to forward the newsletter to your friends, neighbors
and business associates, and encourage them to sign up for their own copy by
visiting my Web site at http://vitter.senate.gov/.

WORKING AGAINST CAP AND TRADE
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.PressRelease
s&ContentRecord_id=a9aeaded-b5f7-8c3f-0327-de8ee0e2879b&Region_id=&Issue_id=

As you know, I've been working to prevent cap and trade legislation and the
damaging provisions it contains from moving forward in the Senate. This
week California Senator Barbara Boxer pushed her cap and trade bill through
Senate committee even though we don't have a cost estimate on the bill.
Cap and trade legislation could be a real job killer for Louisiana and
increase energy and gasoline costs for American families, and we should at
least know how much it is going to cost before we work on this legislation.
You can read more about the latest development regarding the cap and trade
bill here
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.PressRelease
s&ContentRecord_id=c5dd851a-945d-435b-a157-7a3260a5aeb1> .

INCREASING ACCESS TO BREAST CANCER PREVENTION SERVICES
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.PressRelease
s&ContentRecord_id=a5c7bfc8-911e-9383-e487-9677914c8615&Region_id=&Issue_id=

October was Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Across the country, tens of
thousands of woman and families are impacted by this disease every year.
Early detection is the best resource we have to prevent breast cancer, but
many women in rural and urban areas don't have access to preventative
services. That's why I introduced the Mobile Mammography Promotion Act of
2009, which will help provide these much-needed services to women across
the country. You can read more about this bill here
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.Articles&Con
tentRecord_id=c0c2f7d3-99ff-ea28-cba4-c72ee162672f&Region_id=&Issue_id=> .

PREVENTING TERRORISTS FROM GETTING THE SWINE FLU VACCINE
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.Articles&Con
tentRecord_id=aa3358f4-bc07-2119-528a-603e6f8b4470&Region_id=&Issue_id=>

This week, the Department of Defense announced its intent to provide the
H1N1 swine flu vaccine to detainees at Guantanamo Bay. The U.S. Department
of Health and Human Services has directed that the vaccine be made
available to certain high-risk segments of the population, including
pregnant women and babies, but a shortage of the vaccine has left many
individuals unable to be vaccinated. In response to this announcement, I
introduced a resolution calling for the administration to reverse their
course on this issue and see that the vaccine is provided to all of the
high-risk members of our population. You can learn more about the
resolution here
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.PressRelease
s&ContentRecord_id=c068f166-9801-981d-1e9a-498c68589e3e&Region_id=&Issue_id=

> on my website.

WORKING TO BRING RELIEF TO HOMEOWNERS AFFECTED BY CHINESE DRYWALL
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.Articles&Con
tentRecord_id=aa3358f4-bc07-2119-528a-603e6f8b4470&Region_id=&Issue_id=>

Families across Louisiana recovering from hurricanes have been affected by
the use of contaminated Chinese drywall in their homes. This week, I
joined several senators from three other states on a resolution that would
provide relief to these families. You can learn more about the resolution
here
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.PressRelease
s&ContentRecord_id=c087ba75-aefe-d296-5ed9-4192c1be85e4&Region_id=&Issue_id=