[StBernard] St. Bernard Parish Sheriff's Office to conduct sobriety checkpoint Wednesday

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Nov 17 18:42:52 EST 2009

St. Bernard Parish Sheriff's Office to conduct sobriety checkpoint Wednesday
By Bob Warren, The Times-Picayune
November 17, 2009, 1:50PM
The St. Bernard Parish Sheriff's Office will conduct a sobriety checkpoint
Wednesday night to check for motorists driving under the influence of
alcohol or drugs.

This marks the fifth checkpoint in the parish this year. The Sheriff's
Office warns drivers about when it will be conducted, but does not say where
in the parish the checkpoint will be set up.

In a news release, the Sheriff's Office said previous checkpoints have
resulted in several arrests, including a man in July who had an open alcohol
container and bolted when deputies approached, nearly striking an officer
before fleeing at a high speed. He was followed and caught at his Chalmette
residence.

"We take this seriously,'' said Chief Deputy James Pohlmann said. "We can't
have people risking the lives of other motorists or their own family while
driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. It isn't worth it to drive
impaired. If you are going to drink, please have a designated driver or take
a cab home. It's a better alternative than getting arrested or hurting
someone.''