[StBernard] Corps' MR-GO claims should be settled, and fast, attorneys say

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Fri Nov 20 07:33:36 EST 2009

Surely, what good and justice is given to St Bernardians if "justice delayed
is justice denied?"

One, the stretch would intentionally be withheld and prolonged for a couple
of reasons. One is to (pun not intended) weather the storm of economic
despair we're currently facing. The government knows it has a full plate
with "Socialized Medicine" spending for the next decade or more. They want
to get it going, followed by ending the war (actually dishonorably), even to
the point they chicken out.

Secondly, they'd much rather give the money (if it's left to them) to our
children and grandchildren (which will be paying down the Trillions of
dollars with nothing in the treasury to speak about) thus, "no pain, all
gain avoiding the payout.

The insult is to avoid justice we seek on our side of the electrified fence.
Believing they will take it in appeal or at worst, in the Supreme Court will
have them avoid the shame (of unprecedented occurrence) and any firsts.

We want the army corps to be on call during our watch. Let them sweat/share
the loss as we have. The loss of life, property, possessions, family,
church, club and friends disbursement and our future in St. Bernard Parish.

We don't intend to wait until any monetary reimbursement becomes a "trust
fund" for our children or grandchildren. Yes, they suffered, but as
homeowners, we bore/suffered the impact and emotional blunt of the disaster.

There are some who refused to file because each felt a fruitless try against
the government. But, we'll never know the outcome in this new age unless
we've tried. And, although a good amount of recovery in the suit goes to
attorneys, one has to believe that that moment we filed helped us to deal in
our own way, the frustration, anger and hopelessness of the period.

However, we end up, at least many of us can say we gave it our best--no
matter how or where we end up because the outcome was that there was someone
to blame. Someone responsible.

Someone accountable for this living death.

--jer--