[StBernard] eupdate 11 23 09

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue Nov 24 21:59:12 EST 2009

e-update
11.23.09

This weekend, the Senate began debate of a 2,000 plus paged health care
bill. I will be sure to keep you informed as to how this legislation
progresses.

Earlier this week, Louisiana had cause to celebrate with the news that the
Food and Drug Administration would delay its decision to ban the sale of
raw Gulf Oysters until they could complete a study to determine how best to
prevent oyster-related illnesses. I'm pleased that the FDA has decided to
hold off on this misguided policy for now. Last week, I called attention
to another misguided policy in the cap and trade bill that essentially ends
carbon credits - another concern for Louisiana businesses. And I was
honored to be recognized by The Century Council for my efforts in Congress
to prevent drunk driving and underage drinking.

Below you can read about these and other issues that I'm working on, such
as working to stop terrorists from being treated the same as U.S. citizens
in court.

David Vitter

P.S. - Please feel free to forward the newsletter to your friends, neighbors
and business associates, and encourage them to sign up for their own copy by
visiting my Web site at http://vitter.senate.gov/.

HIGHLIGHTING A DANGEROUS PROVISION IN THE CAP AND TRADE BILL
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.PressRelease
s&ContentRecord_id=a9aeaded-b5f7-8c3f-0327-de8ee0e2879b&Region_id=&Issue_id=

Last week, U.S. Sen. John Barrasso and I held a press conference to discuss
a dangerous provision in both the House and Senate cap-and-trade bills that
would require federal agencies to terminate permits and render carbon
credits meaningless, essentially taking the "trade" out of cap and trade.
This provision would be disastrous for American jobs and businesses - the
last thing we need right now. You can read more about this dangerous
provision here
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.PressRelease
s&ContentRecord_id=dfdf24b7-0621-e081-2486-bd62782bf02e&Region_id=&Issue_id=

> .

HELPING ENSURE THE AVAILABILITY OF RAW OYSTERS
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.PressRelease
s&ContentRecord_id=a5c7bfc8-911e-9383-e487-9677914c8615&Region_id=&Issue_id=

Several weeks ago, the Food and Drug Administration announced their plan to
ban the sale of raw oysters from the Gulf of Mexico. I worked with members
of the Louisiana delegation to help prevent this from happening, and after
several meetings, letters and phone calls, the FDA announced this week that
they would delay the ban until they had a completed a study on how best to
protect the public from illnesses associated with raw oysters. This was
good news for the Louisiana oyster industry and for all of us who enjoy
Gulf oysters. You can read more about the latest oyster developments here
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.PressRelease
s&ContentRecord_id=eee5de61-022a-8465-6fa3-6cd4be5e72d3&Region_id=&Issue_id=

> .

CONTINUING THE FIGHT AGAINST DRUNK DRIVING AND UNDERAGE DRINKING
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.Articles&Con
tentRecord_id=aa3358f4-bc07-2119-528a-603e6f8b4470&Region_id=&Issue_id=>

This month, I was proud to be one of 21 members of Congress recognized by
The Century Council for their efforts to prevent drunk driving and underage
drinking. The Century Council works to prevent drunk driving and underage
drinking and each year recognizes members of Congress for their efforts on
behalf of the organization's goals. You can learn more about this award and
the work I've been doing on these issues here
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.PressRelease
s&ContentRecord_id=03f631a3-be9d-be70-f33b-9b5588082db6&Region_id=&Issue_id=

> on my website.

PREVENTING TERRORISTS FROM BEING TREATED THE SAME AS AMERICANS IN COURT
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.Articles&Con
tentRecord_id=aa3358f4-bc07-2119-528a-603e6f8b4470&Region_id=&Issue_id=>

This week, I introduced a bill that would prevent the prosecution of any
Guantanamo Bay detainees in a U.S. criminal court. President Obama
reversed his position and announced that 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh
Mohammed and four other suspected terrorists would be tried in U.S.
criminal court, instead of a military tribunal. This sends a mixed signal
to our allies in the War on Terror and represents a real threat to our
national security. You can read more about the bill here
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.PressRelease
s&ContentRecord_id=0924b8f8-a9e4-6fb1-9e63-5d3a6fad2355> .