[StBernard] eupdate 12 7 09

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Mon Dec 7 20:09:13 EST 2009

e-update
12.7.09

The past few weeks have seen some controversy surrounding the
recommendations of the U.S. Preventive Task Force, which issued a report in
November that basically reversed several decades of medical advice
regarding breast cancer examinations. After hearing from so many of you,
and a significant number of medical experts and breast cancer survivors, I
authored an amendment that will prevent the task force's recommendations
from taking effect. Below you can read about my amendment and its approval
by the U.S. Senate.

Last week, President Obama outlined his plan for Afghanistan, and you can
read my reaction to his speech below. The Senate has also begun debate on
a 2,000 plus page health care bill. I remain opposed to this massive bill
and the government-run health care program it contains. In the coming
weeks and months, I will continue to update you on the progress of this
legislation.

Below you can read about these and other issues, including shoreline
protection efforts in South Louisiana.

David Vitter

P.S. - Please feel free to forward the newsletter to your friends, neighbors
and business associates, and encourage them to sign up for their own copy by
visiting my Web site at http://vitter.senate.gov/.

PREVENTING RESTRICTIONS ON MAMMOGRAMS
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.PressRelease
s&ContentRecord_id=a9aeaded-b5f7-8c3f-0327-de8ee0e2879b&Region_id=&Issue_id=

Last week, the U.S. Senate approved my amendment to the Senate health care
bill that would prevent the new United States Preventive Service Task Force
recommendations from restricting mammograms for women. In November, the
USPSTF released a series of recommendations that stand in stark contrast to
common-held cancer prevention practices. The passage of my amendment was
an important victory for women's health but also for walking back the
influence of government-task force recommendations that seem to be based
more on cost cutting and less on what is the best quality medicine. You
can read more about my amendment here
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.PressRelease
s&ContentRecord_id=54e9c8c4-927c-9728-d951-00a9784c60e5&Region_id=&Issue_id=

> .

WEIGHING THE OPTIONS FOR THE BEST PATH FORWARD IN AFGHANISTAN
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.PressRelease
s&ContentRecord_id=a5c7bfc8-911e-9383-e487-9677914c8615&Region_id=&Issue_id=

President Obama addressed the nation from West Point last week to discuss
his plan for Afghanistan and announced he would commit an additional 30,000
U.S. troops to combat operations there. You can read my reaction to the
speech here
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.PressRelease
s&ContentRecord_id=5087d903-ee4f-315b-76ff-2849d7f2348e&Region_id=&Issue_id=

> .

OPPOSING THE GOVERNMENT-RUN HEALTHCARE PLAN
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.Articles&Con
tentRecord_id=aa3358f4-bc07-2119-528a-603e6f8b4470&Region_id=&Issue_id=>

Just before Thanksgiving the Senate began debate on a massive 2,000 page
health care bill. I have opposed this bill from the start, and I believe
that bills of this size are often filled with provisions that will have
serious consequences that may not come to light until it is much too late
to do anything about them. You can read my statement on the vote to begin
debate on the health care bill here
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.PressRelease
s&ContentRecord_id=218a1534-d830-6d9c-61b8-1ccfac74dcb5&Region_id=&Issue_id=

> on my website.

APPLAUDING THE AWARD OF A SHORELINE PROTECTION GRANT
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.Articles&Con
tentRecord_id=aa3358f4-bc07-2119-528a-603e6f8b4470&Region_id=&Issue_id=>

This month, I was pleased to announce the award of a $217,782 Coastal
Impact Assistance Program grant to Vermilion Parish for Shoreline
Protection on Southwest Point at Southwest Pass. This grant will add to
the important coastal and wetlands restoration in Vermillion Parish - an
important component of hurricane protection. You can read more about the
grant here
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.PressRelease
s&ContentRecord_id=4ad5d7e2-fa02-4d79-116f-e6a30482ab58&Region_id=&Issue_id=