[StBernard] In Case You Missed It: Highlights From Chairman Steele's Sunday Show Interviews

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Mon Jan 11 08:39:17 EST 2010

In Case You Missed It:
Highlights From RNC Chairman Michael Steele's Interviews On Meet The Press &
Fox News Sunday

Click To Watch <http://link.sc.states.gop.com?164-1258-1508-25548-7173>
RNC Chairman Michael Steele
<http://link.sc.states.gop.com?164-1258-1508-25548-7173>

FOX'S CHRIS WALLACE: "One of the top economists in the country who in fact
has been advising congressional Democrats, Mark Zandi. Zandi projected that
unemployment will be 10.8% in October. How much of a burden is that for
Democrats?"

CHAIRMAN STEELE: "Well, it's a huge burden; particularly, when you have an
administration coming in and saying that they were going to fix that
problem, and that, you know, they wanted us to spend all this money so we
wouldn't have 10% unemployment. And yet, what have we got as we're about to
go into the one-year celebration of the administration? We have no jobs, no
healthcare, $13 trillion worth of debt and no sense of direction in terms of
how we're going to create those jobs. And so Americans are very concerned
right now. When you look at last year's elections in New Jersey and
Virginia, the reality of it is the message that the candidates were talking
about, job creation, wealth creation, all of that mattered to people and
they responded."

WALLACE: "[Democrats say] that they're going to make a hard pivot this year.
And a hard pivot to jobs, and the economy and the deficit."

CHAIRMAN STEELE: "[T]his is what the third pivot back to jobs? Remember,
this administration came in saying we're going to deal with jobs but then
they pivoted to healthcare. Then they pivoted from healthcare to jobs. Then
they pivoted from jobs to national security. Then they pivoted back to jobs.
And now they're going back to -- I mean you get confused in the process. You
either are going to create jobs or you're not. And this administration in a
year has not. We've watched it go from 8% to 10% unemployment, and that's a
real burden for the administration."

WALLACE: "Is the 60 vote supermajority the Democrats' gone after November?"

CHAIRMAN STEELE: "It's gone. It's toast. Over."

WALLACE: "You're saying that you think the Republicans are going to take
back the house?

CHAIRMAN STEELE: "We're well on our way. We've already had the Congressman
from Alabama. Y'all come, there is more room."

CHAIRMAN STEELE: "I think you see and have seen certainly 2009 elections and
you will see this year, the public standing up and saying they've had
enough. They're saying no to more taxes, they're saying no to more
government. As we're about to celebrate this one-year anniversary of the
administration, we have no health care, we have no jobs, we have no money
and we have $13 trillion worth of debt. That is not lost on the American
people right now. And so they are going to the polls, they are going to
their town halls, they're going to the streets of the country and saying
'enough.' And they're putting the leadership on notice. 'Pay attention to
us, listen to us, we're telling you what we want and what we don't want.'
And yet this administration and this Democratic Party has a tin ear to the
fact that people out there are hurting. We haven't created jobs and yet now
we're going to have another c onversation about jobs? That should have been
the conversation on the first day, not, you know, the things that the
administration's pursued."

CHAIRMAN STEELE: "Look, I'm excited about the fact that we're going to
engage in a very healthy battle and campaign this year. Look at what we did
in 2009. We won New Jersey governorship; we won the governorship of your
state. You know, the reality of it is we have candidates with ideas that
people want to pay attention to and follow. Right now in Massachusetts,
Scott Brown is doing a valiant effort by listening to the people of
Massachusetts and talking to them about common sense agendas that empower
them from the bottom up, not government down. So the reality of it remains
this ... this administration put some things on the table that have turned
America off. The question isn't whether or not the Republicans take the
House back, it's whether or not the Democrats can keep it. And right now
they can't."

NBC'S DAVID GREGORY: "Chairman Steele, do you think it will help Republicans
in the fall to campaign against Obama's health care reform?"

CHAIRMAN STEELE: "Absolutely, because it's a boondoggle. I mean, it's loaded
with taxes, it's loaded with government intrusion and regulation, it's
loaded with, you know, debt that is going to be passed on to future
generations."

CHAIRMAN STEELE: "This is the reality that a lot of governors around the
country are facing and you're going to layer on top of that a health care
boondoggle and experiment that no one can tell you what it's actually going
to cost. We're now hearing it's going to be a little more than we thought it
was going to be."

CHAIRMAN STEELE: "This administration has not put out a clear vision of how
they are going to handle national security. And what we're going to stop,
close Gitmo, not done. We're surprised and amazed that the dots weren't
connected on what happened on December 25th. The American people don't trust
the direction this is going. If you can't call a thing what it is, and that
is terrorism, people wonder if you know what to do with it."