[StBernard] John Rahaim appointed new St. Bernard Parish Recreation Director

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jan 13 12:17:09 EST 2010

John Rahaim appointed new St. Bernard Parish Recreation Director

New director has long-time recreation and management experience

St. Bernard Parish President Craig P. Taffaro Jr. has announced that John
Rahaim, Jr. is the director of the parish Department of Parks, Recreation,
Culture and Tourism.

"I am excited about this, and I welcome John's years of experience with
recreation and look forward to the continued growth of the St. Bernard
Parish Government Recreation Program," President Taffaro said.

Rahaim of Arabi served as Assistant Director of the St. Bernard Parish
Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness from January 2008
until President Taffaro appointed him to his new post on Monday.

President Taffaro said Rahaim's experience, education and a working
knowledge of government operations will serve him well in this new post.

Rahaim, who has been with St. Bernard government for eight years, has a long
history of recreation experience, having served as the Assistant Director of
the Parish Recreation Department from March 2002 to May of 2004. He also
currently is a high school volleyball official and a USA Volleyball
certified volleyball official.

Rahaim said he was excited about returning to recreation.

"In order to teach our children positive values, we as a community must
demonstrate these values to them through our actions," Rahaim said. "We need
to instill in them a sense of 'Team Spirit,' because life is not an
individual accomplishment."

Rahaim has a bachelor's degree in resource management and an associate's
degree in military sciences from Troy University in Alabama.

In addition to his prior governmental posts in Homeland Security and
Recreation, Rahaim has served as the St. Bernard Civic Center Manager,
Section 8 Program Manager, Assistant Director of Recovery and as a grant
writer. He retired from the United States Air Force in July of 1994 as a
master sergeant. In the military, he served in several leadership roles and
numerous training assignments.

For more information about Recovery and Growth in St. Bernard Parish, visit
our website at www.sbpg.net.

###