[StBernard] eupdate 1 29 10

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Fri Jan 29 22:25:34 EST 2010

e-update
1.29.10

With unemployment rates at 10 percent across America, jobs are a major
concern on the minds of many in Louisiana and around the country. President
Obama urged Congress in his State of the Union address to pursue a "jobs
bill" as the next order of business, and to address the growing
unemployment rates and help our struggling economy, I have been pushing for
my No-Cost Stimulus Act. Below, you can read more about my plan for
creating jobs and growing the economy without borrowing or issuing new
debt.

On the national security front, I recently joined a bipartisan group of my
colleagues in calling on the president to issue new "crippling sanctions"
against the Iranian regime in order to address the very real nuclear threat
it presents. Below you can read below about these efforts and other ways
I'm fighting to strengthen Louisiana's economy and secure our future,
including my bill to ensure the safety of imported seafood and ensure a
level playing field for seafood producers in our state.

Lastly, I want to congratulate the New Orleans Saints on advancing to their
first Super Bowl. They've made all of us across Louisiana so proud this
year, and my family and I can't wait to cheer them on against the Colts!
Who dat?

David Vitter
P.S. - Please feel free to forward the newsletter to your friends, neighbors
and business associates, and encourage them to sign up for their own copy by
visiting my Web site at http://vitter.senate.gov/.

RESPONDING TO THE STATE OF THE UNION ADDRESS
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.PressRelease
s&ContentRecord_id=a9aeaded-b5f7-8c3f-0327-de8ee0e2879b&Region_id=&Issue_id=

In his annual address to Congress, President Obama once again showed us
that he is a talented speaker, but it doesn't appear that he's been
listening to the American people. Over the past year, voters have made it
clear that they don't want higher taxes, they don't want more deficits or
more bailouts and they don't want a government takeover of our health care
system. Unfortunately, the president defended his bailout programs, his
stimulus bill and his terribly unpopular health care bill. You can watch
my response to the president's speech here
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Multimedia.Video&Video
_id=7587c5a2-fc36-af2a-35e8-1f8252e30978&PageNum=1> , and you can be sure
that I'll continue fighting for common-sense proposals to control
government spending and spur businesses to create jobs.

PROMOTING THE NO-COST STIMULUS ACT
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.PressRelease
s&ContentRecord_id=a5c7bfc8-911e-9383-e487-9677914c8615&Region_id=&Issue_id=

The best way to lower unemployment rates is to make it easier for businesses
to create jobs. We can do this by using our existing domestic energy
supplies instead of spending billions upon billions more taxpayer dollars.
My No-Cost Stimulus plan, cosponsored by 13 of my Senate colleagues, would
save or create more than two million long-term, sustainable and well paying
jobs by tapping our vast oil and natural gas reserves here at home. In
addition to growing our economy, my plan would cut energy costs for
families in Louisiana and would reduce our dependence on foreign sources of
oil. You can learn more about the No-Cost Stimulus Act here
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=IssuesLegislation.NoCo
stStimulusAct> .

STRENGTHENING SANCTIONS AGAINST IRAN
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.Articles&Con
tentRecord_id=aa3358f4-bc07-2119-528a-603e6f8b4470&Region_id=&Issue_id=>

Early last year, President Obama pledged that he would pursue diplomatic
talks with Iran to address their persistent violations of the Nuclear
Non-Proliferation Treaty, but that he would not do so indefinitely. Now
that the president's year-end deadline has passed, I joined with eight of
my colleagues - both Republicans and Democrats - in sending a letter to the
White House urging the president to take meaningful steps to increase
pressure on the defiant Iranian regime through "crippling sanctions." You
can read our letter here
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.PressRelease
s&ContentRecord_id=76f0fddc-fbc5-8f56-f44c-eb9f537e887f> .

ENSURING THE SAFETY OF OUR SEAFOOD
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.Articles&Con
tentRecord_id=aa3358f4-bc07-2119-528a-603e6f8b4470&Region_id=&Issue_id=>

Like you, I value the important role seafood plays in the culture and
economy of our state. Unregulated imported seafood threatens not only the
health and safety of consumers, but also the livelihoods of small seafood
producers across Louisiana. That's why I've introduced the Imported
Seafood Safety Standards Act, which requires increased inspection and
testing standards for all imported seafood products and limits imports to
designated ports of entry. I've worked with state officials and seafood
industry leaders to craft this legislation, and you can read more about it
here
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.PressRelease
s&ContentRecord_id=51b2d282-ae09-6965-ff76-ac021f2c32e5> .