[StBernard] Creating Jobs In Our Energy Industry

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Feb 3 23:40:37 EST 2010

Dear Friend,

In his State of the Union address, President Obama called for Congress to
focus on jobs legislation. I and a number of my colleagues answered this
call by requesting that President Obama and Senate Majority Leader Reid
seriously consider legislation we have introduced to harness the job
creation potential of our energy industry.

Early last year, along with 14 of my colleagues, I introduced legislation
titled the No Cost Stimulus Act.

The No Cost Stimulus would increase domestic production of oil and gas and
decrease the regulatory burden on businesses. It increases domestic
production of outer continental shelf resources, which have shown to be
incredibly abundant in the Gulf of Mexico. And it opens up a very narrow
portion of ANWR for oil and gas production with arguably the most stringent
environmental regulations in history. It also dedicates a significant
portion of the revenue created from this production to renewable energy
production so that we can use our traditional energy sources as a bridge to
the energy capabilities of the future.

Most importantly, it does all of this without borrowing another dime from
China or increasing our already historic deficit one cent.

This legislation was introduced with strong endorsements from the Alliance
for Worker Freedom, Americans for Tax Reform, National Association of
Manufacturers, National Black Chamber of Commerce, National Taxpayers Union
and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

With national unemployment at 10 percent, we need to shift away from the
deficit spending policies pushed by the liberal politicians over the last
year and focus on policies that can truly jumpstart our economy, and the No
Cost Stimulus Act is one way to do that.

Sincerely,
David Vitter
U.S. Senator