[StBernard] The Louisiana Way Forward

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Feb 17 17:42:49 EST 2010

Dear Friends -

Last week I outlined the Louisiana Way forward to our state's long-term
budget challenges and the national economic challenges so that Louisiana
will continue to outperform the South and the nation. While we continue to
hear the focus in the nation's capital is on 'jobs, jobs, jobs' the only
thing we see Washington do is spend, spend, spend. The Louisiana Way is
exactly the opposite of the Washington Way and that's why the Alexandria
Town Talk
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c063%7c9390&digest
=OduuGt2qErHkAjqfWZ9ePQ> heralded our administration for setting a "good
direction" and generating "lots of momentum." In tough budget times, there
are only two real choices - raise taxes to keep government spending the
same, or tighten our belts and find savings. As I told the Baton Rouge
Advocate
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c064%7c9390&digest
=3p7T%2bGzJcR8NZybia8oFyQ> , we will not raise taxes and balance the budget
on the backs of our people!

In the spirit of those principles, on Friday I presented the FY 10-11
budget, which includes several reforms targeted toward increasing efficiency
and rooting out savings while protecting the priority areas of higher
education, K-12 education and health care. As the Thibodaux Daily Comet
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c075%7c9390&digest
=C7ofMQzjXJjdRAQdEu1r0w> reports, "the proposed budget will protect
education and health care from further cuts." Protecting our state
priorities while streamlining state services is the Louisiana Way forward
through these budget challenges. The Louisiana Way forward is getting
national attention. The Reason Foundation
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c076%7c9390&digest
=YuPnX08nDE76t1hO3kvUCg> recently honored DOA Commissioner of
Administration Angele Davis as an "Innovator in Action" for her efforts to
promote good government and deliver real results and value for taxpayers.

<http://images.publicaster.com/ImageLibrary/account848/images/20100216-Jinda
lVeteransRapidesSmall3.jpg> Last week I was also honored to bestow the
Louisiana Veterans Honor Medal to 388 veterans from Rapides Parish. These
courageous veterans put their lives on the line to protect our freedoms and
our values, and these medals serve as symbols of our deep respect and
appreciation for their service. As I told the Alexandria Town Talk
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c077%7c9390&digest
=aonC0kSL92byA8NW12VojA> , it's never too late and never inappropriate to
stop and thank those men and women who have served us.

Many of you have inquired as to whether or not Indiana Governor Mitch
Daniels has lived up to his end of the bargain after our Saints historic
victory and I wanted to give you an update. I sent a black and gold Saints
flag to the Governor and now WISH
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c078%7c9390&digest
=1CbEW35wl%2feF7MPF01m%2bYg> out of Indianapolis has a picture of of the
flag proudly displayed in the Indiana state capitol! There are two
important lessons we can take away from the Saints' victory. First, with
hard work and perseverance, the people of New Orleans and Louisiana can
overcome anything; and second, we're going to come back from challenges
better than ever before.

Sincerely,
Governor Bobby Jindal