[StBernard] Jindal: 'Louisiana Way' Forward About Fiscal Responsibility

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu Feb 25 18:18:16 EST 2010

In Case You Missed It...
Jindal: "Louisiana Way" Forward About Fiscal Responsibility

Alexandria Town Talk
Governor Bobby Jindal
February 25, 2010

"The news coming out of Washington, D.C. these days paints a clear picture
of the 'Washington Way' to address our current national economic challenges.

Of course, there is no disputing that the national economic recession is
affecting every state in the country. The Center on Budget and Policy
Priorities reports that a total of 48 states are facing budget shortfalls.
... Now, 42 states are projecting deficits for 2011, and while we hear folks
in D.C. talk about 'jobs, jobs, jobs,' all we see them do is 'spend, spend,
spend.' Washington has shown us that the 'Washington Way' to deal with these
national economic challenges is to spend more money, print more money,
borrow more money, and raise taxes to get more money from Americans...

Here in Louisiana, we have taken the opposite approach of Washington, D.C.
When revenue is down, we only have two choices: we can raise taxes on people
or businesses to keep government spending the same, or we can tighten the
belt on government and find savings. The most important thing I have to say
on this point is that we absolutely will not raise taxes on our people or
our businesses.

Instead, we have presented a FY 10-11 budget that forces government to live
within its means. This is the Louisiana Way forward. We will not follow
Washington's lead and spend money we don't have or borrow money we can't pay
back...

The Louisiana Way forward means protecting our priorities while working to
make government smaller and more sustainable. In fact, the FY 10-11 budget
we presented makes no cuts to higher education schools or the MFP formula
that funds our K-12 education system. It also protects critical services in
health care...

The budget includes reforms and efficiencies in every area of state
government...

There will be those who do not want government to be smaller, those who do
not want to reduce government spending or make the hard choices to live
within our means...

I will tell these opponents plainly that we will not send the government's
spending bill on to the Louisiana taxpayers who are already working to make
ends meet in this challenging economy. We will not raise taxes...

There is no doubt that the Louisiana Way forward is bold. It will require
change and it will require reform. But, the outcome will be the New
Louisiana we have been working toward since day one -- a place where each
and every one of our children has the opportunity to pursue their dreams
right here at home because Louisiana will be the best place in the world to
raise a family, get a great education and pursue a rewarding career."

Click Here To Read The Full Article In The Alexandria Town Talk
<http://lagop.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=81f80dfae08a15f3629eabdeb&id
=3d906552f3&e=6a30004df9>