[StBernard] LA GOP RELEASE: Jindal: State Suit Possible

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Mar 24 08:33:43 EDT 2010

In Case You Missed It...
Jindal: State Suit Possible

Baton Rouge Advocate
By Marsha Shuler And Mark Ballard
March 22, 2010

"Gov. Bobby Jindal said Monday he wants to fight the federal health-care overhaul legislation by raising a 'states rights' argument in court.

Jindal asked Attorney General Buddy Caldwell to file a lawsuit that would exempt Louisiana from the health-care bill, which the U.S. House passed late Sunday and is expected to be signed into law today...

Jindal said the health-care revamp legislation pushed by President Barack Obama amid Republican criticism, violates the 10th amendment to the U.S. Constitution. Requiring the purchase of health insurance is an improper use of 'the commerce clause to impose a mandate on our people,' he said.

The 10th Amendment says that states have the powers not granted to the national government nor specifically prohibited in the Constitution.

'This bill shifts huge costs to the states and basically violates the 10th Amendment of the Constitution. I’m hopeful our attorney general and the other states that join in this will be successful in reminding Congress there is a 10th Amendment,' Jindal said at a hastily called news conference in the Governor’s Mansion.

Jindal also said he would pursue legislation during Louisiana’s legislative session, which starts March 29, to opt the state out of using taxpayer money to fund elective abortions in the state’s purchasing exchange.

Two lawmakers have filed legislation for consideration in the session asserting Louisiana’s rights in the health-care arena. Jindal said passage of those type bills would help the state’s case..."

Click Here To Read The Full Article In The Baton Rouge Advocate <http://lagop.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=81f80dfae08a15f3629eabdeb&id=3df3449e8f&e=e293a5ac38>