[StBernard] St Bernard taking 3 steps forward in Katrina recovery

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Mar 29 23:37:41 EDT 2010

St Bernard taking 3 steps forward in Katrina recovery
Written by WGNO ABC26 News | Monday, 29 March 2010 13:45 ABC26 News

At the old bowling alley in Arabi, a group of spring breakers and their
parents are scraping, gutting, and cleaning the Katrina damaged building.
They're from Indiana and will go home in a few days.

Except one family won't. Aaron Johnson visited St Bernard for the first time
in 2006. He was also planning to help with the recovery effort. Only,
Johnson saw an area where he could not only help, but live. He is married
and since moving to St Bernard permanently, he and his wife have had two
daughters.

"We want to be a part of this area," Johnson says.

That's why he's especially encouraged by this weeks news in St Bernard. The
parish is clearing three big recovery hurdles. Monday, the parish broke
ground on a new, open air fish market. On Tuesday, it will cut the ribbon on
a refurbished Parish Maintenance Garage and Shed. The work for all three
projects will surpass $3million.

Johnson hopes to open a community center at the old bowling alley. He thinks
it could be ready later this year.

"As families trickle back, and new ones come like mine, there's definitely
possitive growth. And I think God's got things in store for New Orleans that
we haven't dreamed of yet."