[StBernard] 2010 Louisiana Crawfish Festival and HT Professional Redfish Series make for a weekend of good times in Chalmette

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sun Apr 4 19:16:54 EDT 2010

2010 Louisiana Crawfish Festival and HT Professional Redfish Series make for
a weekend of good times in Chalmette

The first joining of the LOUISIANA CRAWFISH FESTIVAL and the HT Professional
Redfish Series on the grounds of the Frederick J. Sigur Civic Center in
Chalmette was a huge success and drew record crowds of more than 150,000
people over its four-day run.

Festival Chairman Cisco Gonzales said the revenues from the festival, which
is sponsored by the Knight of Columbus Archbishop Rummel Chapter 5747, go to
a variety of non-profit organizations, including Children's Hospital,
schools, churches and other charitable causes, including toy giveaways at
Christmas.

"Every year, the tip jars at the soft drink and beer booths go to straight
to Children's Hospital. In our best year, we raised $5,600, and this year,
we raised $7,000 for Children's Hospital. Isn't that awesome?" Gonzales
said. "It was a great fest." He said in the near future, the group will be
announcing the rest of the donations made possible from the festival.

St. Bernard Parish President Craig Taffaro said, "The festival is another
chance for St. Bernard to show the surrounding area how strong our recovery
is and what a wonderful place it is to bring a family."

This year, the HT Professional Redfish Series was held in conjunction with
the festival with exciting live weigh-ins on a stage adjacent to the main
stage on the festival grounds. Previously, the successful professional
fishing tournaments have been held in St. Bernard in 2004, 2005, 2008 and
2009.

Phil and Kevin Broussard took the win in the two-day, HT Professional
Redfish Cup central division opener. This team won the 2009 Cup Team of the
year and picked up right where they left off in 2009.

Four fish over two days for 30.76 pounds topped all teams and netted the
Broussards a check for $10,000. "We thank God for a safe tournament and for
the win," Cajun Phil Broussard told the crowd that watched the weigh in.

The Broussards fish and promote a number of sponsors but traveled with and
fished around their top sponsor, American Rodsmith anglers, Robert Scherer
and Blaine Friermood.

"We watched them catch all their fish this weekend and had a lot of fun
being on the road again with our great friends and fellow pro staff anglers,
Robert and Blaine," Kevin told the crowd.

This team threw hats, visors, grab bags and more to the huge audience and
signed autographs for the crowd with the other teams of professional
fishermen. Additionally, local artist Luis Colmenares was commissioned by HT
to do a one-of-a-kind trophy and he presented it himself on stage. This
beautiful piece of art is actually two trophies in one. When pulled apart,
it makes a separate trophy for each angler to take home.

This HT Professional Redfish Series is sponsored by the Louisiana Office of
Tourism and St. Bernard Parish Government and many generous local businesses
that help support the success of this event.

For more information about growth and recovery in St. Bernard, visit
www.sbpg.net <http://www.sbpg.net/> . For more information about Louisiana
Crawfish Festival, visit www.LouisianaCrawfishFestival.com
<http://www.louisianacrawfishfestival.com/> .

###