[StBernard] 2010 ART IN APRIL FESTIVAL TO HOLD ART CONTEST FOR STUDENTS
Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Apr 7 08:27:35 EDT 2010
2010 ART IN APRIL FESTIVAL TO HOLD ART CONTEST FOR STUDENTS
Middle and high school students attending public, parochial or private
school, or home schooled students are invited to enter the 14th annual Art
in April Art Contest.
In the first division, awards will be given in 2-dimension and 3-dimension
categories. Art teachers from all St. Bernard Parish public schools and
Lynn Oaks middle school will select and exhibit student art work at the
Students with additional pieces, home schooled students or students not
enrolled in art class must deliver their art work to the North Ballroom in
the rear of the Frederick J. Sigur Civic Auditorium, 8245 West Judge Perez
Drive, Chalmette, on Friday, April 16th from 3:00 pm to 4:30 pm. Students
are responsible for picking up their art work at the end of the Festival on
Saturday, April 17th from 4:00 to 5:30 pm.
1. The student must be a permanent resident of St. Bernard Parish.
2. All student art work will be for display only.
3. Student's name, address, phone number, and school name must be
secured to the back of the art work.
4. Backing is required on paper entries, but framing is not
Ribbons for winners will be displayed at the Art in April Festival on
Saturday, April 17th.
In the second division the Art in April Committee also awards four
scholarships to seniors, meeting the requirements, who will be continuing
their education in the arts. Each winner will be awarded $1,000.00 to be
sent to the college or university of their choice.
Requirements for high school seniors only:
1. Any high school senior, who resides in St. Bernard Parish, attending
public, private, or parochial school or who is home schooled is eligible.
2. Student who will be attending an institution beyond the high school
level to study Fine Arts.
3. Student must be preparing to graduate with no less than the minimum
GPA required to receive their diploma.
4. Financial status need not be disclosed.
5. Student art work is for display only.
1. All seniors meeting the above requirements will be eligible to
submit an application to the Festival Committee on Friday, April 16th from
3:00 to 4:30 pm in the North Ballroom lobby.
2. Students choosing to participate will be required to write a one
page summary of their reason for applying. Included in this summary should
be their name, address, phone number, e-mail address, and the name of their
3. Students must bring the summary, application, and at least one but
no more than three pieces of art work to be judged. Paintings should be
properly matted and framed with screw eyes and wire. Sculptures should be
free standing or able to be displayed on a regular sized table.
4. The student must agree to permit their art work to be displayed at
the Art in April Festival on Saturday, April 17th, in the North Ballroom
lobby and must be able to accept their award at 3:30 pm on the main stage.
Applications are available at the St. Bernard Parish School Board Office,
200 East St. Bernard Highway, Chalmette, or the St. Bernard Parish Tourism
Office, 8201 West Judge Perez Drive, Government Complex Second Floor,
If anyone has additional questions about the contest, contact Donna Lind,
St. Bernard Art Guild at 504-682-0219. For more information on the Art in
April Festival, contact Elizabeth "Gidget" McDougall, Tourism Director for
St. Bernard Parish Government, at 504-278-4242.
More information about the StBernard