[StBernard] Today's crooks pale in comparison: James Gill

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Apr 14 19:12:50 EDT 2010

I've got a ecclesiastical theory inspired by original sin and God's promise
of salvation.

In the sense of "Today's Crooks".

I'd venture to surmise that we are ALL crooks in some degree of documenting
our lives as we measure up to God's point of purity. That is to say, as no
doubt, we all sin, it is but one of the negative attributes assigned to us
by the Evil One (no, not Obama this time, but Satan himself).

God (not mankind), inspires us with free will, no doubt to make a decision
as to the number of sins we not only expose ourselves, but which we in the
end result--carry out.

A "yardstick" so to speak is a good example using the lines and points of
references in inches and (gulp! Centimeters) to determine advancing lengths
and degrees of measurement. Our lives are measured similarly with mounting
sin, unrepentant, broken laws of our Maker (ex. Homosexuality, adultery,
covertness, and the worse of the lot: putting false gods before the Supreme
Being (ex. Obama, Gold or wealth without sacrifice, the Earth before humans,
etc.).

Thus it is with "crooks". Yes, we are all crooks. Many of us have learned to
steal at a young age. The logical excuse we used probably has something to
do with some materialistic object we might have wanted, but either couldn't
afford it or wanted it because someone had it and didn't wish to be left
out, or we wanted it because no one else had it and its presence gave us
power in this sense.

As we "matured" and we learned the sin of the infraction, we developed a
methodology. Toys or pencils became larger more expensive items. In our
quest to get better at thievery, we added more complex sins in tandem to
make the plan of theft a workable feat. We added lying, cheating,
misleading, avoiding, diversion, cover-ups, goose-chasing and even
intimidation, threats of bodily harm and murder.

I've heard of these throughout religious education, church life, holding
simple discussions and in stories told for centuries which provide morals to
stories which begin at a point of the sin and end with a solution (usual God
provided).

Now that God is missing from many lives, there no longer is a moral
obligation to measure righteousness. Yes, we have secular laws which jail
for specific actions which break community and national laws, but often, the
punishment is hardly what would be dished out by our maker when it's time to
account for one's actions, I suppose.

God gives us a conscience for one specific reason: To know we have done an
injustice to others and a disrespect/wrong against Him.

Thus, a pencil became a much larger mountain of greed in this story. When a
snowball gathers, as in corrupted politicians, the greed-spot of wealth or
those who have gained so much power, the lie grows. That's why it takes a
professional liar (lawyer who protects the corruptness), to assist those who
have less of a silver tongue of manipulating the truth in return for some of
that filthy money.

The moral to this story. Don't let your pencil grow into a Sequoia.

--jer--