[StBernard] St. Bernard Parish filmmaker honored for film depicting Hurricane Katrina memories

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Apr 21 00:26:05 EDT 2010

St. Bernard Parish filmmaker honored for film depicting Hurricane Katrina
memories
By Chris Kirkham, The Times-Picayune
April 20, 2010, 3:01PM

St. Bernard Parish native and Tribeca Film Festival winner Matt Faust was
back in his hometown Tuesday being honored for the critical success of his
short feature film, "Home."

At the St. Bernard Parish Council meeting in Chalmette, Faust got special
recognition for the film, a compilaton of pre- and post-Hurricane Katrina
photographs depicting his family and their Chalmette home that was destroyed
by the storm.

The film won "best documentary short'' at the Tribeca Film Festival in New
York last year. Since then, Faust said he has attended several other
festivals, as far away as the Middle East International Film Festival in Abu
Dhabi.

"I had a lot of motivations and goals in making that film," Faust told the
council Tuesday.

"One of my bigger ones was to make something that captured what we felt down
here. Maybe that could help clear up some misconceptions and wrong attitudes
about the way things happened here."

Parish Councilman Mike Ginart said that while watching it, "my blood
pressure went up, I started sweat" after seeing the images of flooded
household possessions and a mud-caked front lawn.

"I know it's people like you who can help educate the rest of America about
what went on and what's still going on," Ginart said.

Faust now lives in Baton Rouge.