[StBernard] Gov. Jindal and President Taffaro fly over oil spill and hold press conference to discuss impacts to wetlands and wildlife of oil sheen and emulsified oil that is impacting St. Bernard Parish Waters; they call for more boom

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Fri May 7 22:34:45 EDT 2010

Gov. Jindal and President Taffaro fly over oil spill and hold press
conference to discuss impacts to wetlands and wildlife of oil sheen and
emulsified oil that is impacting St. Bernard Parish Waters; they call for
more boom

After a mid-day flyover of the oil spill affecting the St. Bernard Parish
waters and marsh with St. Bernard Parish President Craig Taffaro, Gov. Bobby
Jindal said that he is continuing to push several issues with British
Petroleum and the White House officials to expedite the proper response for
the oil spill.

With several dozen fishermen standing behind him, Gov. Jindal said he wants
BP to use local fishermen and put them to work and give them financial
assistance to help them pay their bills. In addition to getting the proper
resources to protect the coast, he also expects BP to move fast to cut off
the flow of oil and to restore the fisheries to its original state.

"The shoreline impacts are happening in St. Bernard: The Chandeleur Islands,
Cat Island, Freemason Island," Gov. Jindal said. "The oil is moving north,
and NOAA is predicting the sheen will push it further into St. Bernard by
Monday. That's why it is so important to keep it out in the first place."

President Taffaro thanked the governor for his support and made another plea
for needed resources to protect the coast.

"The unfortunate reality is that it is no longer 'what if,' it is now
happening," Taffaro said. "It is in St. Bernard waters. We can make all the
plans we can make; we can make all the partnerships, but without the proper
resources, it is all for naught. This is not about a pretty beach where you
will be able to scrape it off the beach. This is a about a fragile ecosystem
that is like a jigsaw puzzle."

The effort now must still focus on keeping the oil away from interior
marshes. If the oil gets inside the interior marshes, Jindal and Taffaro
said it is impossible to quantify the consequences.

"There could be very serious consequences to this," Jindal said. "I can't
state how much, much more complicated it will be to restore the marsh to its
original condition."

"We cannot afford to let this happen," Taffaro said. "It is about people's
lives. It is about a community that is just getting back on its feet from
Katrina. If this happens because we can't get the resources, it is
unforgiveable. We need the resources to protect our way of life."

The governor said he had confirmed reports from officials in Washington DC
that 100,000 feet of boom is being delivered from Canadian sources, but he
stressed that the resources are needed immediately.

At the press conference, Jindal held up what is called a tar ball, which is
an emulsified chunk of oil that was retrieved from local waters.

"This is a tar ball. We cannot afford tot have this in the interior marsh,"
Jindal said. "We are literally talking a way of life. These are America's
wetlands, we are talking abut the best shrimp crabs and oysters in America.
This area is home to migratory birds and fishery nurseries."

Please monitor the news for additional information. Updates also will be
posted on the parish website at www.sbpg.net.

###