[StBernard] Senate Bill 549

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sat May 15 14:49:59 EDT 2010

James Gill's article summed it up best...... http://www.nola.com/opinions/index.ssf/2010/05/polluters_have_had_enough_of_l.html

IMO, Senate Bill 549 would cripple any university law clinic in Louisiana and prevent residents, including commercial fishers, from filing actions against government agencies. This might include the Army COE, the Road Home, Louisiana Land Trust, DOTD, or any number of actions with a State or other Government Agency in the future.

This is Your Louisiana, This is Your Environment. To Protect Ourselves and Our Environment, we need equal access to the justice system that is provided by university legal clinics.

---- SJK ---

Help Tulane Fight Louisiana Senate Bill 549
Senate Bill 549 would cripple university law clinics in Louisiana by banning them from making an argument on a client’s behalf based on state constitutional challenges. This includes cases of racial or religious discrimination, rights of free speech or assembly, the right to vote, the right to bear arms and more. The bill would also prevent clinics from filing actions against a government agency or filing lawsuits to seek monetary damages on behalf of a client.

Tulane Law School has four clinics that would be negatively affected by Senate Bill 549 -- our Civil Litigation, Domestic Violence, Environmental, and Juvenile clinics. This bill would block access to justice for the clients, mostly low-income residents of our state, represented by university law clinics. These clinics educate students in the practice of law, giving them real-world experience while providing an invaluable public service.

Tell your senators that you oppose Senate Bill 549, which would make universities choose between providing the best legal education possible or receiving state funds.

________________________________

Follow up the email with a phone call to the state senators today at (225) 342-2040. Or contact these senators directly:
Sen. Ann Duplessis <mailto:lasen2 at legis.state.la.us>
504-243-7795
Sen. A.G. Crowe <mailto:crowea at legis.state.la.us>
985-643-3600