[StBernard] Fighting against amnesty schemes

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sat May 22 12:06:06 EDT 2010

Dear Friend,

There has been a lot of talk around the country about the way President
Obama forced ObamaCare into law against the wishes of the majority of
Americans. Now, it seems his administration is trying to reach for a
comprehensive immigration reform package that will undoubtedly include
amnesty provisions.

Although few details about the proposed legislation are certain, one thing
we do know that is that all the usual proponents of amnesty for illegal
immigrants are playing leading roles in shaping the policy. The pro-amnesty
crowd has been asking for citizenship rights for illegal immigrants over the
last three years, and they have really turned up the pressure to pass some
type of amnesty provision into law.

Too many in Congress continue to present the American people with a false
choice in solving the illegal immigration problem - give illegal aliens
amnesty or round them up and deport them en masse.

As the Chairman of the U.S. Senate Border Security and Enforcement First
Immigration Caucus, I believe we have a viable alternative to that false
choice: addressing our nation's immigration problems with attrition through
enforcement. Providing mass amnesty to the current crop of illegals living
in the country will not prevent future illegal immigration problems from
returning and, frankly, rewards those who ignored our immigration policies
while punishing those who went through the formal and proper channels.

While proponents of this legislation hope to move it this year, rest assured
I will continue to raise awareness and fight against the process that tries
to force any amnesty agenda on the American people against their will.

Sincerely,
David Vitter
U.S. Senator