[StBernard] Final risk reduction contract awarded for St. Bernard Parish

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Mon Jun 21 22:42:28 EDT 2010

Final risk reduction contract awarded for St. Bernard Parish

New floodwall alignment and sector gate across the Caernarvon Canal to be
built

NEW ORLEANS - The U. S. Army Corps of Engineers recently awarded a $49.6
million contract to construct a new floodwall alignment and sector gate
across the Caernarvon Canal in St. Bernard Parish. The contract was awarded
to New Jersey-based Conti Federal Services, Inc. on June 15. The project
will reduce impacts from a storm surge event that has a one percent chance
of occurring in any given year.

"This is one of the most significant milestones yet in St. Bernard Parish,"
St. Bernard President Craig P. Taffaro, Jr. said. "This last contract award
enables us to fully move to construction on the entire St. Bernard portion
of the system. I want to thank our partners in the Corps of Engineers for
all of their support in this rebuilding process."

The new floodwall will tie into the Verret to Caernarvon levee on the
eastern side of the Caernarvon Canal and the Mississippi River levee system
on the western side. The project also includes construction of floodgates
across Highway 39 and the Norfolk Southern railroad crossing. (Pictured
below)

"We have a tremendous task ahead of us in St. Bernard to construct three
surge gates, four railroad or highway gates and 23 miles of floodwall in the
next 12 months," said Col. Robert Sinkler, Commander of the Hurricane
Protection Office. "We will be constructing two miles of concrete and steel
floodwall per month to meet our operational goal of finishing all key
features of the Hurricane and Storm Damage Risk Reduction System by June
2011."

Major construction is expected to begin next month and will take
approximately ten months to complete from the date of notice to proceed.

-30-

U.S. ARMY CORPS OF ENGINEERS - TEAM NEW ORLEANS

Hurricane Protection Office, 7400 Leake Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70118

www.mvn.usace.army.mil

Visit the following links to follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Flickr:

http://www.facebook.com/people/New-Orleans-District/100000017439096

http://twitter.com/teamneworleans

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37671998@N05