[StBernard] Economic Survival – Lift Obama's Moratorium

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jul 21 23:16:36 EDT 2010

Team,

Seeing Louisianians unite is a powerful image to witness. Today I attended the Rally for Economic Survival at the Cajundome in Lafayette along with approximately 15,000 other Louisianians who want to lift Obama's moratorium.

The Obama administration's latest offshore drilling moratorium could destroy more than 140,000 jobs along the Gulf Coast while costing billions of dollars in lost wages. In just six months, it could end up doing more damage to our economy than the oil spill itself.

Just what does Louisiana stand to lose? Thousands of workers and millions of dollars in lost revenues from taxes and lease sales directed to coastal restoration would eventually affect every Gulf Coast resident.

<http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=goJNIYNxF9JEJZK&s=hiIRJ0OJKkIXJ5NDKmG&m=7gKNJ2OxFaLRKbL>

Watch The Video Here <http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=jhKTI7OJLcILK9J&s=hiIRJ0OJKkIXJ5NDKmG&m=7gKNJ2OxFaLRKbL>

The oil spill has been an unprecedented disaster, and Louisianians are heartbroken not only by the initial loss of life, but also by the ongoing devastation to our coast. But shutting down drilling altogether is a mistake that would only make the long-term economic situation far worse, as uncertainty forces energy companies to relocate their assets and jobs overseas.

Yet, the Obama administration has rejected a careful, balanced approach in favor of a heavy-handed blanket moratorium. Even after losing multiple legal challenges, they've devised a new moratorium that affects deepwater and shallow-water rigs alike.

That's why I immediately authored legislation to end Obama's moratorium.

Louisiana's economy is struggling and we can't afford to let the Obama administration kill thousands more jobs and move our energy production overseas. Instead, let's focus on enforcing the current regulations and improving the overall safety so that folks in the energy sector can get back to work and Louisiana's economy gets back on its feet.

It was great to see many of you today and thanks for all your hard work keeping the pressure on President Obama to lift his job-killing moratorium!

Sincerely,

David Vitter