[StBernard] Building a Better Louisiana

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu Aug 26 22:20:35 EDT 2010

Dear Friends-

A lot is happening in our state. From our increased economic growth, to our
newly crafted laws and our efforts to revitalize Louisiana after the oil
spill, there's a lot going on. That is why I recently embarked on a
64-parish "Building a Better Louisiana for our Children" tour.

In the challenges facing our state today there is an opportunity - an
opportunity to build on our strengths and become better than ever before.

In fact, we are already seeing many results from our work to build a better
Louisiana for our children.

Just recently, in Caddo Parish, we highlighted our economic wins that will
result in 2,850 new direct jobs and $942 million in new capital investment.
In nearby De Soto Parish, we were pleased to announce that CQMS Razer is
expanding its operations in mining industry parts. As I said in the
Associated Press
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c190%7c9390&digest
=Kby2eqYkhzdO1hAr8dihqg&sysid=1> , retaining and growing businesses are
critical parts of creating more opportunities for our people and building a
better Louisiana, and CQMS is a great win for the Northwest region.

I also recently traveled to Iberville Parish where SNF Flopam Inc. broke
ground on a specialty chemicals plant expected to bring in over 600 new
jobs. From North to South Louisiana, we can be proud of our state's
continued resilience despite the national recession and other challenges
facing our state.

On the oil spill front, we've had some positive news in the area of
revitalizing our coastal communities. As I wrote in the Monroe News-Star
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c191%7c9390&digest
=p0r8T4ZsufpmEUiMdrCEZg&sysid=1> , a major part of my four-part Agenda for
Revitalizing Louisiana is certifying our seafood and getting fisherman back
on the water. This past week we took some major steps toward accomplishing
this goal, with the New Orleans Times-Picayune
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c192%7c9390&digest
=uUXZiYqYXJb0pRBdDXAQrg&sysid=1> reporting that BP has agreed to fund a
three-year study of the gulf spill's effects on Louisiana fisheries. This
is a small part of a long-term comprehensive fisheries program we have
requested BP to support in order to restore national confidence in Louisiana
seafood and help bring the industry back to its high level of success before
the oil spill.

Lastly, I had the honor of awarding 539 veterans from St. James Parish with
the Louisiana Veterans' Honor Medal at the Westbank Reception Hall in
Vacherie. Our men and women were willing to stand in harm's way to protect
our country, and it is a pleasure to give our heroes these medals
commemorating their sacrifices for our freedom. We'll continue to hold
Veterans' Honor Medal ceremonies across the state to thank our servicemen
and women for all they've done in protecting our American way of life.

Sincerely,
Governor Bobby Jindal