[StBernard] St. Bernard Parish to hold several community events for the fifth anniversary of Hurricane Katrina; St. Bernard Katrina Photographic Gallery to hang in Sigur Civic Center

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu Aug 26 22:03:43 EDT 2010

St. Bernard Parish to hold several community events for the fifth
anniversary of Hurricane Katrina

St. Bernard Katrina Photographic Gallery to hang in the Sigur Center for all
events

Across St. Bernard Parish, several community events will mark the fifth
anniversary of Hurricane Katrina during the week leading up to August 29 as
residents come together to remember what we have been through and to
celebrate how far the parish has come in its recovery.

"As we approach the fifth anniversary of Hurricane Katrina, it is important
to remember those who lost their lives, but it is a time also to celebrate
as a community the successes of our growth and recovery of our parish," St.
Bernard Parish President Craig P. Taffaro, Jr. said. "What I have witnessed
over the last five years has been life changing: to see residents and
business leaders pull themselves together. We have our community back. We
are a tenacious group of people. There's something just unique about this
region of the country: this feeling of being home in St. Bernard. There's a
real feeling of pride and not letting our community be beaten by a storm.
That is what this anniversary is about."

There will be several events, including a St. Bernard Parish Recovery Tour
on Friday, August 27 that will leave from the Sigur Civic Center Auditorium
in Chalmette at 1 p.m. It will include stops at sampling of completed
construction projects starting at 1:30 p.m. at the Islenos Museum Complex in
St. Bernard Village and returning at 4:30 p.m. to the Auditorium where the
St. Bernard Katrina Photographic Gallery: Historic Past. Promising Future
will be displayed. Light refreshments will be served. The tour and ending
reception is open to the public. There is limited seating on the busses, but
a caravan of cars may follow, or citizens may stop just at any stops they
are interested in seeing.

The Gallery includes 50 poster board sized dramatic photographs from a
variety of local photographers capturing the St. Bernard experience of the
last five years. It is a must see, and it will be available for the public
to see at the reception at the end of the Recovery Tour Friday at 4:30 p.m.
Light refreshments will be served. It will also be on display at the Sunday
Praise and Worship Concert from 2 to 5 p.m. Photographs are by Karen Turni
Bazile, HIP, Chad O'Neil, Barb Sturner of FEMA, Joe Wall, Anthony "Tony"
Dominque, Jen Belsom, Melissa Jurisich and a collection from the
firefighters in the St. Bernard Fire Department.

In addition to St. Bernard Parish Government's events, the St. Bernard
Parish School Board will hold its annual Day of Reflection Breakfast on
Friday, August 27, and there will be an ecumenical funeral service and
burial for Katrina Saturday, August 28 at 11 a.m. at Our Lady of Prompt
Succor Church in Chalmette, which will be followed by a procession and jazz
funeral at the St. Bernard Memorial Gardens and Funeral Home.

ST. BERNARD CALENDAR OF EVENTS MARKING

THE FIFTH ANNIVERSARY OF HURRICANE KATRINA

Thursday, August 26, 2010

9-4 p.m.: St. Bernard Katrina "Burial"

A "Hurricane Katrina casket," sponsored by the St.
Bernard Memorial Funeral Home,

will lie in state. All are encouraged to bury their burdens forever by
placing notes, cards or letters representing their memories, angers and
frustrations into the Hurricane Katrina casket.

Friday, August 27, 2010

8:30 a.m.: St. Bernard School Board's annual Day of Reflection Breakfast

Chalmette High School, Lacoste Campus, 9th Grade Academy
Gym, 1101 E. Judge Perez Drive in Chalmette.

TICKETS ARE SOLD OUT. NO ONE WILL BE ADMITTED WITHOUT A TICKET.

9-4 p.m.: St. Bernard Katrina "Burial"

A "Hurricane Katrina casket," sponsored by the St. Bernard Memorial Funeral
Home, will lie in state. All are encouraged to bury their burdens forever by
placing notes, cards or letters representing their memories, angers and
frustrations into the Hurricane Katrina casket.

1:00 p.m.: St. Bernard Parish Recovery Tour Begins

1:00 p.m.: Caravan of busses and vehicles departs from Sigur Civic Center,
8245 W. Judge Perez Drive, Chalmette

1:30 p.m.: Islenos Complex, 1345-1357 Bayou Road in St. Bernard

2:00 p.m.: Fire Station No. 7, 5680 E. Judge Perez Drive in Violet

2:30 p.m.: Animal Control, 5445 E. Judge Perez Drive in Violet

3:00 p.m.: Val Riess Park II at the northern end of Palmisano Boulevard in
Chalmette

3:30 p.m.: Paul Noel Gym and Fuel Youth Center, 210 E. Moreau Street in
Chalmette

4:00 p.m.: Council on Aging, 8201-A W. Judge Perez Drive in Chalmette

4:30 p.m.: Sigur Civic Center Auditorium, 8245 W. Judge Perez Drive in
Chalmette

The St. Bernard Katrina Photographic Gallery: Historic Past. Promising
Future will be on display for the reception that is open to the public and
will include light refreshments.

Saturday, August 28, 2010

11:00 a.m.: Ecumenical funeral service for Katrina at Our Lady of Prompt
Succor

The event will include several honored guests and speakers including
Archbishop of New Orleans Gregory M. Aymond and several local ministers and
public officials. After the funeral service, there will be a procession
from the church to St. Bernard Memorial Gardens. The Chalmette High Jazz
Band will lead a second line to the Hurricane Katrina burial site, which
features a granite memorial complete with epitaph. Refreshments will be
served after the service.

1:00 p.m.: Celebration Softball Tournament and Activities at the new Val
Riess Phase II

Northern end of Palmisano Boulevard in Chalmette

Teams are set with government agencies and recovery partners. The public
should come celebrate and cheer on various government agencies. The day will
include music and several activities, including space walks.

Sunday, August 29, 2010

8:30 a.m.: Katrina Commemoration Service, Katrina Memorial in Shell Beach.

It will be a time to honor those who lost their lives
because of the storm.

2-5 p.m.: Community Praise and Worship Concert, Sigur Civic Center
Auditorium

Several church groups will perform at the event sponsored by St. Bernard
Parish Government. Refreshments will be sold. The St. Bernard Katrina
Photographic Gallery: Historic Past. Promising Future will be on display for
the concert.

For more information about the growth and recovery of St. Bernard Parish,
visit www.sbpg.net.

###